• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arrow Valley Lake and Park (Redditch) (2 Viewers)

Yesterday morning - 1 KF just to the right of the 'totem pole' bridge. Walked to Bordesley but no more sightings. Went down to Pike's Pool, no sign of LSW. But did see 2 KF on 2 seperate occasions. When I saw the LSW last week it was by the bridge next to Pike's Pool.

Help identifying three birds

Sunday was my first proper day out in a while due to work commitments & bad weather. Within five minutes of getting out of the car I saw both GSWP & GWP on the same tree. Also saw a small woodpecker that I am hoping is the LSWP. It has it's head poking out of the hole in the picture below. Can anyone ID it for me? Saw 4 GSWP in total between Ipsley & Bordesley. Obviously they are doing well! Bumped into Dave Pegg (nice fella) & he showed me where he found the LSWP.

Ipsley Pool Kingfishers still present in the usual spots. Could not find the Sailing Club pair. I did have a brief look last week & the places I usually see them had been sadly vandalised & littered with large buckets & logs thrown in the river. The high river has taken away the rubbish but I did not see nor hear them which is unusual. Bordesley Kingfisher also seems to have gone missing.

Two other unidentified birds: I don't have a clue what the one on the left is. The centre one is some form of warbler I believe. Anyone help me out?

Attachments

• Unidentified 2.jpg
    Unidentified 2.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 94
  • Unidentified.jpg
    Unidentified.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 93
  • Woodpecker.jpg
    Woodpecker.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 81
Sorry I have not been on here for a while, been a bit busy. Good to meet up with Boggers 2 weeks ago. Thanks for showing me the Ipsley KF pair. After you left one of them decided to check me out - flew right through the glade where we were standing! Went back down last Sunday for over an hour, but sadly no sign of them.
Out this morning with the dog. Fairly quiet around the lake with a distinct lack of Reed Warblers. Male Whitethroat in the meadow. Saw a pair there yesterday with nesting material - hopefully a good sign.

A couple of record shots of yesterdays Black Terns in the south arm of the lake.

Attachments

• IMG_4124.JPG
    IMG_4124.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_4123.JPG
    IMG_4123.JPG
    250.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4122.JPG
    IMG_4122.JPG
    174.7 KB · Views: 81
Hi, I live in Pershore, work in Redditch, and I've enjoyed spending time in the Arrow Valley Park area recently. I've read your posts with interest, but I'm having trouble identifying some of the locations with my lack of local knowledge. Where is Ipsley Pool? Looking at a map throws up a few candidates. Pike's Pool - no idea.

I've visited a small pool with a car park, just off Old Forge Drive - opposite Pilkingtons, and spotted a Kingfisher there, also a Heron, Coot with young, and Moorhen. I've no idea what it's called.

The pool you have visited is Ipsley Pool. The other side takes you up Ipsley Lane.

If you cross the green bridge at Ipsley Pool and head left before you reach the lane that takes you to Pikes Pool. It's been cut back and always seem like a good location but sadly has to much disturbance.

Try Salford Priors on you way back to Pershore;)

Neil, thanks.
I went there this morning, and for once looked at the notice board by the entrance - Ipsley Pool. |:D| Doh.

The young Coots are growing fast, and one of the female Mallards has a chick in tow.

I'll give Salford Priors a try one evening.

It's great to see so many with young on the lake. Early this morning there was a juvenile Heron on the eastern edge of the larger island, and the Great Crested Grebes were out feeding their youngsters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back