• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scottish / Parrot Crossbills (1 Viewer)

MarkHows

Mostly Mammals
I missed them earlier in the year, but will be in Scotland at Christmas, has anyone got any good and recent sites to see them.

Thanks

Mark

MarkHows said:
I missed them earlier in the year, but will be in Scotland at Christmas, has anyone got any good and recent sites to see them.

Thanks

Mark

Still very few birds about of any description in Speyside. Best site probably Angach Woods on the edge of Grantown on Spey. There has been a small mobile group of "large-billed" birds there recently. A Parrot Crossbill was seen with them a few weeks ago.
Haven't seen any other then brief flyovers in Abernethy for months.

JP

David Bryant said:
Aren't Parrots and Scots lumped now?

Not "officially" though UK400 club doesn't recognise Scottish preferring "Scottish Parrot Crossbill".
I would go along with that too. Even if Scottish is a species it certainly wouldn't be 100% identifiable in the field. (How do you eliminate large billed Common or small billed Parrot). It's not on my list.

JP

Think there a few threads about this already.

Last edited:
Adding to the not-many-Xbills-in-Abernethy-at-the-moment debate, just wait until March, when all those green cones become edible, we won't be able to move for Xbills of all persuasions! Interesting article in the fantastic and newly published Highland Bird Report 2003 regarding a sighting of Two-barred in the Highlands, just to add to the mix!

just enjoy the birds is perhaps the best policy here Mark

take lots of notes (records a few if you can) and maybe one day some will be identifiable...

and welcome back Lindsay - long time no see etc etc

Lindsay Cargill said:
Had Scottish excitement calls at the weekend in Mid Deeside ( private site I am afraid ) and also type A streaked juv. begging and being fed by a female. This is late for up here ( anywhere ? ).Linz

I had a mixed flock of Common/Scottie/Parrot (please change spp. to suit your own beliefs) singing and displaying in late October around Grantown during a bout of pleasant weather, I don't think they really care about the time of year, except that may change if we do get this snorter of a winter that folk predict.

Hi Lindsay,

I'm thinking of heading up Deeside over the weekend, not specifically looking for Crossbills but I'd like to have a look at some. I was thinking of wandering around Glen Tanar and was wondering if there are many about in that area.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back