• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Papillo 6.5X or 8.5X for birding.? (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

Hello,
I would ask if the binocular Pentax Papillo is good for birding (not just insects ..), and what model would be more successful, or that of 6.5x to 8.5x .. if any of you has been compared to these two.
regards
Wachi.

The Pap has to be a dedicated bug bin, the objective is so small.

6.5x32 would be a logical choice.

If you are looking for an 8.5x for birding then that can be a very useful choice with a suitable objective, 8.5x45 works for me.

Best wishes,

Thank you very much for your response, I understand that a 32 or 42mm binocular lens are the maybe perfect" aperture for birding activities, but I have a 8x42 model Celestron binocular, I am intested in this pocket model , Papillo II 8,5X21 or the 6.5x21 model, i know that these models are small aperture for serious bierding, but for a generalist model bino pocket , this are OK? For example, a Holliday moment with all family in the camping, flowers, butterfly, insect and why not? Birds ?
Greetings

The Viking MD 6.5x32 would be a good choice.

It is not quite pocket sized but not too heavy, it weighs about 675g. Nice wide view and sharp centre field. You may be able to find it for around Eur 145.00 + shipping, it would be a very good buy if you can.

Best wishes,

I use the 6.5 papillios for observing bird feeders outside my window
and for long hikes where weight is an issue
I also keep a 8.5 papillio in my truck

edj

Last edited:
I had the choice of 6.5 or 8.5 when asking Pentax for one and choose 6.5:
More FOV, less shaking and better DOF when doing close-ups.
But I do like 7x anyway and use it as an allround bino.
From butterflies to birds and back, mostly on my homeground with distances up to 25m.
So I would make this decision again without hesitation

I use a Papillio 6.5x most of the time during the summer. I find the wider FOV and brighter, very sharp image more than compensate for any lack in magnification, and that's coming from someone whose normal birding binocular is a Zeiss 10x40. The 6.5 model is excellent for insects, flowers etc and fine for birding in woods and countryside though it wouldn't be my first choice for coastal birding. My advice: buy a pair, you will use them a lot more than you think.
Hope this helps
Tim

Yes the 6.5 is the best I have a pair for taking out to look at Wildlife in general great Butterfly dragonfly and bird bin nice bright view a wider field of view

I had been using the original Papilio 8.5x as a supplemental instrument, but would not as a rule, use it for anything not for close focusing. This was not due to the magnification (which was great at close-focus, since as other in the past on BF have pointed out, on the Papilio the stated magnification is actually not accurate at close range, the 8.5x becoming 10x-10.4x ), rather it was due to its optical quality, or lack thereof.
The new version 2 (i have again the 8.5x) has markedly improved optically, including viewing at a distance. I myself, have no problem with say, small birds in a woods, with the version 8.5x, and also have the delicious closeups.
The other day, i was on a forest path and was able to quickly find the Green Heron i heard in the trees near the water. Then, a few feet later, i was able to watch in detail, a grisly tableau of some ill-fated inch worms that had exited a tree only to land on top of a large ant hill.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back