• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When will Zeiss upgrade FL 8/10x32? (1 Viewer)

SivaL

United States
Leica recently released the Ultravid HD-Plus in 8/10x32. By all accounts Swarovski dominates the mid sized Alpha bins with SV 8x32 considered the best out there. Will this spur Zeiss to replace the FL x32 with HT or SF x32?

Zeiss might want to keep the robustness of FL by upgrading it to HT line, but that will make it hard to compete with SV. It will most likely be the SF x32 that can compete with SV. But then if they bring it out in the SF line it may not be as compact and sturdy as the HT.

I hope they upgrade the FL sooner than later. May be Lee who is on the board of directors at Zeiss can get us some information.

Zeiss might want to keep the robustness of FL by upgrading it to HT line, but that will make it hard to compete with SV. It will most likely be the SF x32 that can compete with SV. But then if they bring it out in the SF line it may not be as compact and sturdy as the HT.

As far as I understand from talking to one of my regular dealers, the FL is on the way out, so my guess is that they won't be upgraded.

HN

I spoke to the guys at Zeiss at last year's Birdfair.

They confirmed there would be a 8x32 SF version.

Cheers Tim

I spoke to the guys at Zeiss at last year's Birdfair.

They confirmed there would be a 8x32 SF version.

Cheers Tim

Someone else mentioned this who also spoke with a Zeis rep. I had been wondering why it was taking so long to come up with the 32 FLs replacement since I thought a 32 HT would follow because the HT was the model that replaced the Victory FL, but that's before we knew about the SFs. So now the long delay makes sense since generally the full sized models are released first.

Assuming that the 32 SF will follow the design of its bigger brothers, it's going to be a very long 32 bin, likely even longer than the 32 SV EL because of the triple bridge design.

One of the characteristics of the 32 FL that appealed to birders was its compact size, so it will be interesting to see if 32 FL owners will sell their FLs and buy an SF or hold on to what they've got.

The factor that could cause them to abandon their more compact FLs would be a wider FOV than the 32 FL. Like Nikon did with the 8x30 M7, Zeiss might design the 32 SF to match the 42's FOV.

Brock

Last edited:
I was told there would not be a 32 HT version, only a 32 SF.

I agree brock, there is a delay... Perhaps the SF needs tweaking before its little brother emerges.

Saying that. It was a couple of years between the 42 and 32 SV.

I'm sure Lee can enlighten us further.

Cheers Tim

I was told there would not be a 32 HT version, only a 32 SF.

I agree brock, there is a delay... Perhaps the SF needs tweaking before its little brother emerges.

Saying that. It was a couple of years between the 42 and 32 SV.

I'm sure Lee can enlighten us further.

Cheers Tim

Hi Tim

I am not sure I bring any more news back from Bird Fair except that your info seems correct Tim. I mean that there was never going to be a 32 HT but the FL is on the way out. This leaves only one conclusion and that is that a 32 SF is likely.

Lee

Hi Lee.

Thanks for your reply.
Been away from the forum for a while.

Sadly I couldn't get to Rutland this year.

Look forward to getting my hands on the 32 SF.

Any idea when we can expect them?

Cheers Tim

Hi Lee.

Thanks for your reply.
Been away from the forum for a while.

Sadly I couldn't get to Rutland this year.

Look forward to getting my hands on the 32 SF.

Any idea when we can expect them?

Cheers Tim

Hi Tim

No idea about timing, sorry.

You missed a Bird Fair that took place for the most part in glorious sunshine unlike the previous two :t:

Lee

Right, An SF 32 is much more likely than HT. Zeiss seems to be following Swarovski's game plan in having a premier birding series (SV) and a slightly cheaper, but rugged series for hunters (SLC).

This would be an interesting development to see; as i understood it from previous posts, there was a size issue involved, as the FL32 had SP prisms and the SF AK. As a previous post said, the compactness is probably the major selling point of a 32 mm. Increasing the size to house the prisms may require some thought on the part of Zeiss, which doubtless is occupying their thoughts.

This would be an interesting development to see; as i understood it from previous posts, there was a size issue involved, as the FL32 had SP prisms and the SF AK. As a previous post said, the compactness is probably the major selling point of a 32 mm. Increasing the size to house the prisms may require some thought on the part of Zeiss, which doubtless is occupying their thoughts.

The HT has AK prisms, the SF has SP. I guess you meant the HT?

HN

Well, I hope Zeiss get the x42 SF's sorted before embarking on the x32's ..... hopefully the 32's won't repeat all the mistakes, and be rather bigger on performance than marketing fluff ...... :smoke:

The x32's could be quite a ways off then ..... don't hold your breath ...... |:S|

These 32's are gunna be some mighty big normal x42-sized bins though ..... no matter how light (suggest they don't try and save too much off the chassis casting weight in critical areas though :( |:p|

It looks like Zeiss is more than happy to leave the compact, lightweight, wide-field, super-bright market to Leica then ........ :eek!:
Seriously. For the life of me, with the gains in coatings going from FL to HT I don't know why they just don't add some carbon fiber to the plastic mix of the chassis, similar SF type armouring (only make sure this one sticks! :) add some HT glass to the prisms, and some ultra-FL+ glass to the objectives, see what they can do to lift eyepiece performance, and index with U-beaut HT T* coatings and have an awesome complimentary bin for next to nix real development cost. The gains might be incremental in isolation, but should gel into a more than handy sum ..... :t: :king:

Maybe Zeiss don't like making money!, or great market fulfilling products?!

Maybe?! they have shares in Leica ???? :cat:

Chosun :gh:

Well, I hope Zeiss get the x42 SF's sorted before embarking on the x32's ..... hopefully the 32's won't repeat all the mistakes, and be rather bigger on performance than marketing fluff ...... :smoke:

The x32's could be quite a ways off then ..... don't hold your breath ...... |:S|

These 32's are gunna be some mighty big normal x42-sized bins though ..... no matter how light (suggest they don't try and save too much off the chassis casting weight in critical areas though :( |:p|

It looks like Zeiss is more than happy to leave the compact, lightweight, wide-field, super-bright market to Leica then ........ :eek!:
Seriously. For the life of me, with the gains in coatings going from FL to HT I don't know why they just don't add some carbon fiber to the plastic mix of the chassis, similar SF type armouring (only make sure this one sticks! :) add some HT glass to the prisms, and some ultra-FL+ glass to the objectives, see what they can do to lift eyepiece performance, and index with U-beaut HT T* coatings and have an awesome complimentary bin for next to nix real development cost. The gains might be incremental in isolation, but should gel into a more than handy sum ..... :t: :king:

Maybe Zeiss don't like making money!, or great market fulfilling products?!

Maybe?! they have shares in Leica ???? :cat:

Chosun :gh:

Chosen:

Your questions are good, and the plastic chassis of the FL and
Conquest models is now gone with the new Conquest HD, HT and the SF.
The Terra uses a fiberglass reinforced plastic chassis.
I agree with you, nothing wrong with synthetics, as I have not found any issue with the FL 8x42 I have owned and used.

There was some discussion a while back about the construction of the top Zeiss binoculars.
Carl Zeiss made a decision to go to a metal chassis, like all of the other Alpha makers.
They found some users do not want plastic but prefer a magnesium or aluminum construction.

I suppose if you have some suggestions for Zeiss, you could send a
personal email to Carl. ;)

Jerry

Last edited:
will be interesting to see if the 32mm or 50mm SF will be first,
what are the odds?

2:1 for the 32mm perhaps,
but either won't sell as the 42mm:s,
think Zeiss is hesitating on this,
pure economics,

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back