• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arca-Swiss style foot for the Meopta S2? (1 Viewer)

fazalmajid

Supporter
United States
I just acquired a Meopta Meoptar S2 82 HD scope. It has an integrated Manfrotto-style quick-release plate screwed onto the scope's ring mount, and is clearly removable.

Does Meopta or anyone else make an Arca-Swiss style QR replacement foot for this scope? All my tripods are equipped with Arca-type clamps and the Manfrotto style won't fit (wrong dovetail angle and too wide anyway).

fazalmajid, post 1,
I am not 100% sure, but I remember vaguely (memories can be deceptive I know) to have read that Swarovski is going to change from the Manfrotto to the Arca-Swiss style quick release plate.
Gijs van Ginkel

Thanks Gijs,

Sadly my budget didn't stretch to a Swarovski. I just put a generic Arca QR plate on the Manfrotto foot of the S2 82 HD for now, but I have ordered a Manfrotto 128RC fluid head, as that will be less hassle, and most QR plate adapters cost more than that head anyway.

Met vriendelijke groet

I just acquired a Meopta Meoptar S2 82 HD scope. It has an integrated Manfrotto-style quick-release plate screwed onto the scope's ring mount, and is clearly removable.

Does Meopta or anyone else make an Arca-Swiss style QR replacement foot for this scope? All my tripods are equipped with Arca-type clamps and the Manfrotto style won't fit (wrong dovetail angle and too wide anyway).

I've not heard of one being available, but if the current foot/plate is so easily removable, it seems an ideal situation for adapting something yourself, or having a machine shop do one custom.

But why be so fancy? Why not just attach a non-rotating plate from Really Right Stuff or Kirk?

--AP

Last edited:
Well, I am using a cheapo Sunwayfoto one for now, but I have a Manfrotto 128RC on order. The RRS plates are likely more expensive than the 128RC...

It seems you have your problem solved. The 128RC is a fairly nice head (I used one for many years), and you must have found one for a good price. On my scopes, the RRS B-21 (discontinued) or Kirk PZ-17 plates work perfectly--they are secure with no possible rotation. The latter is $55 new, and both can sometimes be found used for half that. I use Gitzo heads sometimes too, so I use a Desmond DGZA-1 ($12) when I need to adapt the Arca style plate to Gitzo standard. It also works very well and does so elegantly.

--AP

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back