• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi everyone, could use some help. (1 Viewer)

Timber

Just starting out....at 67 LOL Presently using a point and shoot panasonic DMC-ZS 19. Mostly birds, wildlife, scenery and typical vacation shots. Not getting the definition and detail I want. Thinking of stepping up to a panasonic DMC FZ300 2.8 20x Zoom bridge camera. Worried i still will not get the quality, clarity and definition because of the small sensor. Don't have 4 grand but do have 2 if necessary. Not making prints or competition. Just using it for Facebook, emails, iPad and HD tv. Hoping to find a camera that i can carry on my motorcycle for hand held shots and use with a tripod for wildlife. Thank you in advance for the help. Will be looking for a beginner course this fall. Any replies, guidance and recommendations are really appreciated.

Hi Timber. Welcome to BirdForum. Hopefully somebody will be along to offer some advice. The 4/3 systems seem popular on here.

Rich

I've moved your thread to the Panasonic Forum where hopefully you'll get more advice. Perhaps one of the other mods can subscribe you to it so you notification of replies. Outside of my knowledge at the moment - sorry.

Rich

Hi Timber and a warm welcome from me too.

Hope you get yourself sorted.

As requested I've subscribed you to the thread so you'll get advised of any replies. You can easily unsubscribe, either through your Control Panel, or by clicking on thread tools at the top of this thread.

Timber, clarity and definition depends on a number of issues: quality of lens, quality of postprocessing, and quality/size of sensor.

The small sensor is mainly a problem in dark spots, while I am certain the FZ300 will do fine on a well lit mudflat for example. m4/3 cameras will certainly have a larger sensor and to some extent alleviate the problem of small sensor. In between of the two, there is the superzooms with 1 inch sensor where Sony just came out with something that looks like a killer but also is a bit expensive. Which of these that is right for you: read reviews, look at sample images and see what you think.

Quality of lens: that is something that is easier (but also more expensive) on a camera with changeable lens. Reading reviews of your current camera and compare with those you consider is one way to look at improving here.

Postprocessing: if you are just taking jpg images, then the camera does the pp automatically for you. On the camera I have (m4/3) I feel I can definitely achieve better results from a raw image than using the OOC jpg, especially if the light was less than ideal.

Niels

Camera for Wild Life Photography

Just starting out....at 67 LOL Presently using a point and shoot panasonic DMC-ZS 19. Mostly birds, wildlife, scenery and typical vacation shots. Not getting the definition and detail I want. Thinking of stepping up to a panasonic DMC FZ300 2.8 20x Zoom bridge camera. Worried i still will not get the quality, clarity and definition because of the small sensor. Don't have 4 grand but do have 2 if necessary. Not making prints or competition. Just using it for Facebook, emails, iPad and HD tv. Hoping to find a camera that i can carry on my motorcycle for hand held shots and use with a tripod for wildlife. Thank you in advance for the help. Will be looking for a beginner course this fall. Any replies, guidance and recommendations are really appreciated.

Lumix G cameras by Panasonic Australia has all the requirements your looking for. Checkout the site they have range of cameras that serves all types of purposes.
https://www.panasonic.com/au/consumer/lumix-cameras-video-cameras/lumix-g-cameras.html

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back