• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Photographic Field Guide to the Birds of India... (1 Viewer)

peterginsburg

Did I miss discussion of this book (ISBN 0691176493)? I had an extremely quick look at it yesterday and came away with one overriding impression--very large and extremely heavy.
Peter

I don't think you missed discussion, I didn't see one and for future ref, much easier for us all if you just post a link to the book on e.g Amazon.

Photographic titles are treated by many as lesser works which many don't particularly like hence it got little (no) attention.

Photographically they may be superb, but birders generally prefer illustrated books.

A

Last edited:
I have recently bought this book and have been very much enjoying flicking through it . I find the photographs very good. It is very weighty and personally I would not take it into the field. However, I have been reading it in conjunction with the standard Grimett & Inskipp field guide for birds of India and the subcontinent and I find that the two work well, together. For identification I find the plates in the latter Field Guide better, however I have found the photographs in the former a really good memory jog of holidays to India this year, Nepal in 2017 and Sri Lanka in 2016. I am very glad that I purchased the book, however I feel that it is necessary to purchase a Field Guide as well.

Following on from my latter post this is the Indian Field Guide that I have been reading the photographic Field Guide, in conjunction with and I feel that the two work very well together, from home, for India, Nepal and Sri Lanka.

https://anotherbirdblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/birds-of-india-and-happy-memories.html

In the field, the above is what I took . As I said I would not take the photographic guide into the field, being far too heavy, not as comprehensive , especially in terms of showing all identification features

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back