• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (13 Viewers)

some highlights from my trip to norfolk 4-6th may.

If you were in the party in the white mini bus at the Monties site,I was in the blue Peugeot at the site at the same time.

Highlight of our weekend in Norfolk was Nightingale singing and in view at Salthouse Heath on Saturday.o:D

Last edited:
Top stuff Chris... sounds like fun!

I might make it next year...

yesterday and today, only a few Rouzels left now, Whimbrel numbers down. Lots of Swallows heading north all morning yesterday along with a few martins. Small passage of crows yesterday with perhaps 50 heading north past Waxham. Six pairs of Stonechat between Horsey and Nelson Head track is signs of perhaps a very good breeding season.

Made a schoolboy error and went to look for the Black Kite this afternoon. That was fun.

Tim

If you were in the party in the white mini bus at the Monties site,I was in the blue Peugeot at the site at the same time.

Highlight of our weekend in Norfolk was Nightingale singing and in view at Salthouse Heath on Saturday.o:D

yeah thats right, BF tick no. 1!!!!!!

Saw the Black Kite from Aylmerton again this evening at 1830. For those interested it was south of Gresham flying west. I think a good spot for tomorrow would be the mast between Baconsthorpe and West Beckham for general searching and maybe high ground between the A148 and East Beckham for more restricted but possibly better (if the bird shows!) views.

Well today I had to work again (really gets in the way!!!) but managed to escape later and went to NOA Hempton marsh arriving at 3pm - partially sunny, well ok, more cloudy!!! Saw a kingfisher flying across the marsh (right of board walk), heard cuckoo, willow warbler, saw 2 red legged partridge, a large red damselfly, chiffchaff and blackcap singing, saw 2 marsh tits, chaffinches, 2 great tits, 2 blackbirds, 1 blue tit, 1 robin and a jay by the viewing platform when I was sheltering from rain in old hide which basically consists of sticks and plastic, but totally waterproof, looks something Ray Mears has put together!

Decided to then go on to Walsey Hills (Salthouse) arrived at 5pm and the sun was now brilliant:cool: . Stopped briefly at NWT Cley's new centre, very, very modern, I don't know if I like it or not really, bit too clinical I think. Views over marsh were stupendous though. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more if I had sampled a cake - but they were packing up, it was 4.50pm, too late, never mind, next time! Anyway parked at Walsey and walked up to top and sat on seats eating sandwiches with flask of tea. It was heaven - the best thing all afternoon was a willow warbler that sat on telegraph wire next to me and sang the whole hour and a half I was there, it looked so brilliant in the sunshine. A couple came up the steps and the lady (newish to birding I think) was also fascinated by this beautiful bird that looked and sounded so magical. Did not see any adders. Heard chiffchaff, cettis was serenading me, reed warbler singing, male kestrel flew over, marsh harriers both male and female soaring over Arnold's Marsh, Walked around reserve, following bottom path, and saw common whitethroat, linnets, pheasant in the flowers and a hare that came quite close, I stood motionless to see how close it would come, when a marsh harrier suddenly appeared from nowwhere right over me and the next time I looked down, the hare had gone!!!!!! 4 long tailed tits flitting about in the gorse along the top and another common whitethroat. Chaffinches, skylarks, meadow pipits singing in the blue skies. Walked back round the path and saw all the usual birds on Arnold's marsh, avocets, lots of sandwich terns etc etc. Back at the centre, saw 2 wall butterflies. Put my long lens on camera to take picture of willow warbler, still sitting on wire! - stood under pole (very tame!) and was just about to press shutter, when a kestrel came over and the willow warbler shot off the pole like grease lightening. Sat on the seats for a while, waiting for it to come back, waited, waited, put camera stuff away, put rucksack on back and yes, you've guessed, the willow warbler came back!!!! It was still singing on the telegraph pole as I shut the car door!

Went onto Salthouse - 6.45pm - Lots of common and sandwich terns going west, turnstones and avocets and redshank on marsh. 3 pied wagtails and 5 wheatears on the hill!!! Drove home via Holt/A148 with beautiful, dramatic cloud filled skies against setting sun.

I am borrowing someones pager whilst they are on holiday and it has just bleeped, that there was a red-backed shrike, yesterday at 6.30am at Blakeney Point!!!! - very nice! And there is a Pallas' W at Freiston Shore, have not seen one of those for alot of years!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Last edited:
I am borrowing someones pager whilst they are on holiday and it has just bleeped, that there was a red-backed shrike, yesterday at 6.30am at Blakeney Point!!!! - very nice! And there is a Pallas' W at Freiston Shore, have not seen one of those for alot of years!!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

I'd take a weeks sicky if I were you Penny!!

I was 'in the presence' of a birder with one of those things a couple of weeks ago, the thing never stopped!!

Nice report..

Matt

I'd take a weeks sicky if I were you Penny!!

I was 'in the presence' of a birder with one of those things a couple of weeks ago, the thing never stopped!!

Nice report..

Matt

Yes I agree Matt, pagers are extremely annoying when you are out and about, but you can put them on silent mode, which is what I have been doing at work. In fact they could be put on silent mode permanently and then just checked every so often, but some people want to know the second a long tailed purple headed, whatisname has turned up, so they can spin car round and get there quick!!!!!;) ;) ;) Very useful though, it will be VERY difficult to give back!!!!!

Any damage done by the Rave at Horsey Gap this w/end?

yes

by me, almost, to a few of them. Absolute w*****s. They all love each other while they're pilled up but come the morning when some want to leave and others don't there's hell on with cars blocked in everywhere. The flower children of today weren't spreading the love on sunday morning, it was very fractious. The whole road was closed for ages between Somerton and north of Sea Palling. Not sure if the seals were too bothered. Maybe, maybe not.

The upshot - It's a bit of a story and it's early days but it will perhaps be difficult to park there in future. Not a problem for me but it might be tricky for visitors.

Last edited:
Was the rave actually in the dunes, or in a field nearby (I've heard conflicting reports)? Only I'm a bit concerned for the Dark Green Fritillaries (technically they shouldn't be emerging till late June - but this year who knows when anything's going to happen?)

Belated reports of another Camberwell Beauty seen last month - that makes 5. With Swallowtails already out, the next Norfolk biggie will be Norfolk Hawker - any day now I would think.

No Rouzels this morning (for the first time since i returned from Arunachal Pradesh on 16th April) and no sign of the Dotterel at Waxham between 4 and 6 this evening - searched high and low in suitable fields but only turned up a small number of Golden Plovers. Was also looked for later but again no joy. Couple of swifts but not much else...

Three Cranes were as enjoyable as ever though.

Red-necked Grebe reported off Cart Gap this morning.

Is it me or are we short of cuckoos this year? We are usually knee deep in them by now at this time of year and yet I have only heard a few? (and only actually seen one!)
Sue

Hockwold has plenty and I've seen one on the last 2 visits to Strumpshaw so I guess its just a case of right place right time?

Is it me or are we short of cuckoos this year? We are usually knee deep in them by now at this time of year and yet I have only heard a few? (and only actually seen one!)
Sue

There's some here in my corner of the county, plenty of Common and Lesser 'throats too this year...

James

Just had a great day out (after being stuck at work all w/end!)
Started in the Brecks with Stone Curlews, Cuckoo and plenty of singing Woodlarks. Then headed north. Monties were showing well in usual site and a Red Kite flew over there heading south. Visited Sculthorpe Moor as i had never been here before (Nice little reserve!). Willow tit was showing well there (my first this year). Titchwell had Garganey, Little Gulls (2), male Velvet Scoter amongst lots of Common Scoter, Turtle Dove in the car park, Spot Red, Common Sand and Cuckoo heard here too. Cley was quiet apart from LRP, 4 Whimbrel and more people in the new reception center than on the reserve :brains:
Sacha

Last edited:
Just gone for a quick coffee break and saw (unaided) through the gloom what looked suspiciously like a drake Wood Duck heading down the Wensum towards Whitlingham CP...

James

couple of beers in the pub then we walked back from Horsey to Sea Palling in the pouring rain. Absolutely soaked, dog totally bedraggled. Quite a few Whimbrels still knocking around and the odd Wheatear. Couple of Common Terns in-off.

Two Reed Warblers singing in the village this morning

Last edited:
Buckenham Marshes this morning - 1 Wood Sand, 1 greenshank, c.10 black t godwits, c.10 Dunlins, 1 wheatear, 1 yellow wag.
Annoyed at the fact Pec Sand has been found at Cley seeing as i was there yesterday (i didn't visit North Hide!). Lets hope the winds go back to the East...Could do with some more migrants in Norfolk!
Sacha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back