• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question on Minox Bins (1 Viewer)

Can anyone with hands on experience with them please post if they are made in Japan, China, Korea, etc. Thanks! I checked the Minox site with no luck in finding that information.

My Minox 10x58 ED has a small sticker that reads:
"Manufactured in Japan for MINOX GmbH"

I wouldn't take that to mean that ALL Minox binoculars are made in Japan though.

This raises some interesting questions.

I just checked my Minox 8x24BR and while everything is clearly labeled MINOX GmBH (and the box includes Wetzlar, Germany) there is nothing on the glasses or their box that explicitly states where they were made. There is an interesting piece of paper tucked into the instruction book however. It states (in 7 languages), "This product has been inspected according to the strict quality controls set by MINOX GmBH in Germany". From the wording one could infer thay were manufactured somewhere other than Germany. The lack of origin statement also infers they were not originally produced for sale in the US (US law requires statement of origin on all products sold here).

I've seen the small paper/plastic film labels that state country of origin on other binoculars. This leads me to think that the label is added to glasses intended for US market but left off when sold elsewhere.

Charlie

Hi all,

they're all designed and technically specified in Wetzlar, Germany by our own team of designers and then actiually constructed in Japan before being shipped back to Wetzlar to undergo yet another quality assessment before being shipped out.

Hope this helps!

Dave Morgan

Minox @ Newpro.

davem said:
actiually constructed in Japan before being shipped back to Wetzlar to undergo yet another quality assessment before being shipped out.

Hope this helps!

Dave Morgan

Minox @ Newpro.

Hm, someone in Wetzlar is paid 20 Euros/hour, benefits, and 5 weeks of vacation to get binoculars out of the box and look through them? Does quality control testing include birding trips to Sardinia?
I'm in the wrong place here.

Seriously, i am waiting for the 8x32 HG to show up.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back