• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MINOX MD 62 W ED: Advice Needed (1 Viewer)

obrjhn

I am interested in the Minox scope for digiscoping with a Nikon 990 but I have found no reviews. Any advice would be appreciated. The ED version uses ED fluoride glass which Minox claims provides absolutely neutral colour rendition even in critical light conditions. There are several eyepieces available Which would work for digiscoping? The scope has the following specs.

Scope Body
Front lens diameter: 62 mm
Close distance: 5 m / 16.4 ft
Over run: ± 4 dpt. (What's this?)
Operating temperature: -10°C bis +45°C
Water proof: up to 5 m/16,4 ft
Height/width/depth: 328 x 99 x 89 mm
Weight: 930 g

Eyepeices
Minox 20-45x ww
Lens elements: 8 lenses
Magnification: 20-45x
Exit pupil: 0.12 in.-0,05 in. / 3.1-1.38 mm
Field of view: 55-95 ft / 1.7°-1.1°17-29 m* / 1,7°-1.1°
Eye relief: 0.63 in. - 6.7 in. / 16-17 mm
Twilight number: 35.2 - 52.8
Geom. Twilight no.: 9.6 - 1.9
Length: 3.15 inch / 80 mm
Diameter: 2.08 inch / 53 mm

MINOX 22x ww
Lens elements 6 lenses
Magnification 22x
Exit pupil 0.11 in. / 2.81 mm
Field of view 170 ft / 3°52 m* / 3°
Eye relief 0.43 inch / 11 mm
Twilight number: 49.8
Geom. Twilight no.: 2.4
Length 2.67 inch / 68 mm
Diameter 2.08 inch / 53 mm

MINOX 30x ww
Lens elements 7 lenses
Magnification 30x
Exit pupil 0.08 in. / 2.06 mm
Field of view 127 ft / 3°38.6 m* / 1,5°
Eye relief 0.75 inch / 19.5 mm
Twilight number: ?
Geom. Twilight no.: ?
Length 3.15 inch / 81 mm
Diameter 1.61 inch / 44 mm

MINOX 40x ww
Lens elements 6 lenses
Magnification 40x
Exit pupil 0.07 in. / 1.55 mm
Field of view 85 ft / 1.2°26 m* / 1,2°
Eye relief 0.62 inch / 16 mm
Twilight number: 36.9
Geom. Twilight no.: 7.9
Length 1.81 inch / 46 mm
Diameter 1.77 inch / 45 mm

Obrjhn,

On behalf of the moderators and admin, let me welcome you to Bird Forum.

I'm not familiar with the scope you mention, but I would think that the best idea, if at all possible, is to take your camera with you to a store and take a hand-held shot through the scope. This should give you some idea of the results you're likely to get, given that you will probably be using some sort of adapter.

obrjhn

I understand that Minox has an association with Leica, (rather like SAAB cars have an association with the GM network - if we can use automobile terms) and from what I have seen looking through Minox bins and scopes at various bird fairs etc., they are pretty good. So also follow the advice above, find a dealer and try before you buy as no two peoples eyesight are the same.

hi

my opinion about the eyepieces is to get the 22X which has best specs on the description sheet

fewer elements, biggest exit pupil

you might care about the diameter if you want to find an adaptor that fits, unlike my pentax

a+

fred

if you wear glasses, you d better get a longer eye relief,
longer eye relief allows you to have a full field of view even if your eyes are not "scotched" to the eyepiece, best for glasses holders

a+
fred

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back