• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Trinovid 8x20 or Leupold 6x24 Katmai for compact Binoculars? (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporter
Leica Trinovid 8x20 or Leupold 6x32 Katmai for compact Binoculars?

For a pair of compact binoculars which would everybody prefer. Leica Trinovids 8x20 BC's or Leupold Katmai 6x32's ? I know it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges but what is your opinion? Whis one do you think would have the best view? Cost is similar. Say $250.00 to $350.00 on E-bay. Thanks!

Dennis Mau

Last edited:
I can't tell you anything about the Leupold Katmai 6 x 24, but I own the Leica 8 x 20 BN Trinovid and, if you can buy it new, under Leica's warranty, for $350.00 or less, then waste no time, buy it ASAP! It is a true "shirt pocket" binocular. I had mine in my pocket today while eating Christmas Dinner at my In-Laws! (It was rainy and overcast so the only bird I saw today was the turkey gracing the middle of the dinner table.) Anyway, I digress. Optically, these very small 8 x 20's are superb! They have a 335' FOV 90% of which is "sweet spot." No astigmatism or noticable CA. I've used them at concerts, Opera's, sports events, just nosing around and even serious birding! Imagine that! They aren't waterproof and they have double hinges which I do not favor but the pro's far outweigh the con's here. I believe they are being discontinued for their replacement "Ultravids," which are water proof and cost in the neightborhood of $500.00 and which also sadly lack the clean lines, style and panache of the Trinovids.

Cordially,
Bob
"I came, I saw, I expounded!"

If it does not work out, try also Nikon Trailblazer 8x25. If you do not have a compact already these are OK, but not up to Zeiss Leica etc and Nikon high end 8x25.

With the Bushnell Legend you get wide FOV, and cost about same as Katmai or less.
http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=3237

have not seen that model, so be sure to check before you invest, or use Eagle Optics where you can return them.

Single hinged compacts that are smaller than the typical 8x32 are rare. Pentax makes some 28 mm models which may be OK.

Oh, the Bushnell custom compacts may also meet your criteria, 7x.

Good luck.

Last edited:
ceasar said:
I can't tell you anything about the Leupold Katmai 6 x 24, but I own the Leica 8 x 20 BN Trinovid and, if you can buy it new, under Leica's warranty, for $350.00 or less, then waste no time, buy it ASAP! ..... I believe they are being discontinued for their replacement "Ultravids," which are water proof and cost in the neightborhood of $500.00 and which also sadly lack the clean lines, style and panache of the Trinovids.

I can only support the advice to get these immediately. But I don't agree with the comment about the Ultravids.
I own both, though I have the 10x25 version in the Ultravids. My Trinovid 8x20s also often go to concerts and the like. But optically, AND ergonomically, I think the Ultravids are clearly another step up. Though no need to forgo the Trinovids at the price you can get them! Judging appearance, however, like beauty, lies in the eyes of the beholder. So no need to dispute that part here.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back