• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binomania preview: New Kowa BD32XD e BD56XD (1 Viewer)

Good morning from a rainy Italy.
I've a great news for Kowa fans: i've just published on my website some images concerning the new Kowa BD32XD Prominar and Kowa BD56XD Prominar.
http://www.binomania.it/wordpress/?p=6544
Kind Regards!
Piergiovanni

I wonder what the price difference will be between the New BD32XD's & the current 8x/10x33 Prominars made in Japan ? ... Interesting to see if the prices will come down here in the states any lower then what already seems to be discounted at some Kowa dealers ? Maybe I should have put off my recent purchase .... gwen

Last edited:
Had a quick look at the new models on show at BirdFair. I really I only checked to see if the CA issues I'd noted before had been sorted out. Unfortunately they hadn't. A great shame because otherwise there is much to like.

If there is a replacement for the Genesis on the way no one was saying.

There were some pretty funky looking camera lenses at the back of the stand with no explanation what they were but with several Japanese gentlemen in attendance. I'm kicking myself I now realise they were the new micro 4/3 lens and I had an Olympus Pen in the bag.
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/78...ree-manual-focus-lenses-for-micro-four-thirds

David

They look similar to the Minox HG line. The streamline shape, the broad, flat bridge and the knurled aluminum focuser. Could the Volkswagen design team be behind these or is it a case of "cloning" like Dolly, the Sheep?

They certainly look more elegant than the originals with their prominent black bridge inlaid across the green barrels (as used by Jack Black's character in the movie "The Big Year"). The larger FOV is an improvement.

Minox 8x33 HG

Here's a description from Kowa's website:

"Our newest addition! The BD42-XD Series uses our signature XD lenses to deliver a brighter wide field of view and sharper images without chromatic aberration."

Some who have tried them would disagree with the claim of no CA.

Brock

Last edited:
Good morning from a rainy Italy.
I've a great news for Kowa fans: i've just published on my website some images concerning the new Kowa BD32XD Prominar and Kowa BD56XD Prominar.
http://www.binomania.it/wordpress/?p=6544
Kind Regards!
Piergiovanni

Forgot to ask, are you planning to review the Prominar XDs soon? I'm particularly interested in the 8x42 model. It's as small and light as an 8x32 and has a wider FOV than the older BDs. It also looks more elegant with its knurled aluminum focuser and integrated bridge (the original model looked like it had an airplane wing on top).

I've only read one comment from someone on BF who tried one at a show and he thought the 8x42 showed too much CA, particularly for a roof that has ED glass.

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back