• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mid October East Anglia or Midlands, UK (1 Viewer)

dragnil

The glass is half full, but the bottle is empty.
United Kingdom
We have friends visiting the UK from Italy in October and they want to meet for a couple of days birdwatching. They'll be based in Southampton, initially, then London and then free agents although they'll be leaving from Gatwick the day after our get together.

I'm looking for inspiration for where to take them and they did look after us very well on our visit to Sicily last year so I want it to be memorable if possible. Minsmere came to mind although it's one place I've not visited myself but I could make the supreme sacrifice and venture south of London...

Any and all suggestions gratefully received.

David

If you are considering East Anglia Minsmere is not a bad shout and you could also try Lakenheath fen.

Personally In October I would be tempted to do the extra few miles to the North Norfolk coast where you have several migrant traps and good sea-watching spots all in close proximity to each other such as Cley, Holkham, Titchwell, Stiffkey fen etc etc.

You would be guaranteed a good haul of geese, ducks and waders etc plus the chance of a wayward Sibe.

Wherever you decide I hope you and your guest have a great day out.

Thanks, Paul, this was one of my first thoughts and I know that part of the coast better than further south. It will all depend on where they will be staying and how happy they are to travel - I'm assuming they'll rent a car. Geese will certainly be interesting to the Siciliani! It's a good option, thanks again - any more ideas if we are forced further south?

If you did want to go south of London, the New Forest is just down the road from Southampton, and after Sicily, your friends might appreciate some mature autumnal English woodland, plus you can walk anywhere. Following sights are good for atmosphere and birds-

Beaulieu Road Station SU348064
Acres Down SU267097
Black Gutter SU206165
Cockley Plain SU186156
Bolderwood SU243086
Eyeworth Pond SU228146
Ringwood Pits SU155075

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Egrets, I'll keep this in mind, the plot hasn't started to come together yet. I might well be back when it does!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back