• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baby Blue Jay (1 Viewer)

Lyf

Okay, so my little sister found a tiny blue jay in our front yard. It has no feathers and it's eyes are only just starting to open. I know it's illegal to raise the bird, but we don't live near anyplace that'll take it in. We don't have the time or money to take it to one of the nearest shelters, not with my parents working and gas prices. Don't reprimand me for keeping it, because I'm working on finding an expert to take it in.
But, anyways, I need help in the taking care of it department until then. Please share helpful information, not what I already know.
Right now I have it in a shoebox, using a soft towel for a nest, with a heating pad under the box. My elder sister, who is 21 and works at a vets office, told me to feed it earthworms mashed into a thin paste with a smal drop of water added, feeding it with an eye dropper.
Any other suggestions or warnings?

Hi Lyf welcome aboard from the staff and the moderators.

I do not know about your laws. I would have thought there is a defense of necessity unless the bird is considered a pest species?.

I cannot help you regarding wild bird rehabilitation and another moderator may be able to help you to a link. However you need to act quickly and I suggest you google up 'wild bird rehabilitation' or something similar and get a number and phone for advice. Young chicks will require food often and will require the right temperature. Don't be too disheartened if the poor chick dies if you have done your best under the circumstances.

Sorry I cannot help you more.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back