• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bittell Reservoirs and Hopwood area (1 Viewer)

Two male goosander on pool in front of sailing club entrance at around 9:30 this morning, both flew off south-west as I approached, may have been me disturbed them but I suspect a jogger who was bringing up my rear is more likely. As Peregrine Trousers says GN diver showing well, Raven calling overhead and a pair of jays end of Bittell Farm Rd at junction of B4120

Last edited:
Great Northern Diver still showing well today, also saw one male Goosander and a Raven.

Attachments

• Great Northern Diver 2 comp.jpg
    Great Northern Diver 2 comp.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 85
Great Northern Diver still showing well by Dam late afternoon....good light today but could not get there till late on. :t:

Attachments

• New Canon 275 024 low.jpg
    New Canon 275 024 low.jpg
    642.9 KB · Views: 87
Not been able to get here this year but being able to get about a bit more now I walked from home to see how things were locally.....spotted this at Lower Bittell and also a new gate for access to the reed area.
Are these things connected..........

A 3 hour walk across the north fields around Bittell and then up to the lanes around Hopwood services and all I had was a couple of Green Woodpeckers and a Kestrel....nice to be out and about though.

Attachments

• Canon 2016 March 2 029.JPG
    Canon 2016 March 2 029.JPG
    280 KB · Views: 125
Good to hear you're out and about again. I've missed your reports and esp the photographs.
That solar powered monitoring thing has been there a couple of weeks but I haven't a clue what its for.
With the warmer weather I'm hoping for early Sand Martin and Wheatear but no sign yet, keep em peeled!

Lower Bittell 30 + Sand Martin with 1 House Martin and I Swallow Also Red Kite over. Windy but Katie is blowing the migrants in Chiffchaffs singing

Wast Hills 1 male Redstart Still 4 Wheatears.
Ground still waterlogged even the sheep need wellies. Hopefully Lapwings will have more opportunities for breeding.

Last edited:
Not strictly in Worcestershire or Hopwood area BUT it might have drifted over there before/after.
Had a RED KITE over my house (Longbridge Lane area) @4.05 this afternoon...it rose up and drifted west and was joined by a BUZZARD...couldn't believe it.

Attachments

• Canon 2016 JUNE 1 050 A low forum.jpg
    Canon 2016 JUNE 1 050 A low forum.jpg
    724.7 KB · Views: 78
Why is it when I leave the house its nice...by the time I get here its always raining.......just managed to get a few pics of Swallow chicks being fed and the almost resident Female Wood Duck before getting totally drenched walking home.

Attachments

• Canon 2016 JUNE 5 027 A.jpg
    Canon 2016 JUNE 5 027 A.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Canon 2016 JUNE 5 028 A.jpg
    Canon 2016 JUNE 5 028 A.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Canon 2016 JUNE 5 040 A.jpg
    Canon 2016 JUNE 5 040 A.jpg
    542.6 KB · Views: 59
  • WOOD DUCK1.jpg
    WOOD DUCK1.jpg
    573.8 KB · Views: 62
Spotted a marsh harrier today, flying west towards Hopwood. Something to perhaps look out for around Bittell tomorrow.

Not quite in or around Bittell or Hopwood ...or even in Worcestershire ...... But I was around Northfield church today and sure the big black "crows" were RAVENS.....if you dont know I cannot hear bird calls/songs but could just make out a harsh call.....suppose its common knowledge if they were Ravens but I dont get up around the Church that often.Wondered if anyone lives around there to confirm.

3 Wigeon on Mill Shrub around 2pm

1.Wigeon
2.Lesser BBGull
3 ScareCormorant

Attachments

• wig 1.jpg
    wig 1.jpg
    975.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Canon 2016 OCT 1 127.JPG
    Canon 2016 OCT 1 127.JPG
    736.2 KB · Views: 39
  • Canon 2016 OCT 1 057 A.jpg
    Canon 2016 OCT 1 057 A.jpg
    595.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
As well as the many Wigeon on Shrub Mill on Friday....there was a couple of Grey Wagtails...and One parent Mute Swan showed up with 6 well grown Cygnets.
The L.T.Tit flock was active as usual with a few Blue Tits among them.
Had a quick flash of a warbler in a hedge - too quick to I.D.
A Little Grebe was trying to fish but kept getting in trouble with the Moorhens and Coots.

Last time I went up to the North fields the crops were intact but they were just starting to Harvest them so not a lot about...but this time the fields were full of stubble with a few yellowhammer doing the rounds. But the main birds were hundreds of Wood Pigeon and Crows which I kept putting up as I walked around.

Attachments

• Canon 2016 OCT 4 032 A.jpg
    Canon 2016 OCT 4 032 A.jpg
    481.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Canon 2016 OCT 4 037 A.jpg
    Canon 2016 OCT 4 037 A.jpg
    812.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Canon 2016 OCT 4 061 A.jpg
    Canon 2016 OCT 4 061 A.jpg
    635.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Canon 2016 OCT 4 182 a.jpg
    Canon 2016 OCT 4 182 a.jpg