• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From my Manhattan Window (10 Viewers)

Summer doldrums

Hello,

A few birds have turned up, when I did not expect the: a white throated sparrow, an Eastern towhee and a black capped chickadee. The latter may have been part of a nesting pair, currently in Central Park. I saw another Eastern Kingbird, today.

Today, in the stream which runs under Triplets Bridge, I saw an American robin chase a smaller bird with a yellowish chest. It might have been a yellow-bellied flycatcher but I do not recall any eye ring.

In a PM, I was asked about mammals in Central Park. We have raccoons, rats, gray squirrels, and the occasional coyote. Rabbits, usually released by owners, are rounded up or humanely trapped, as quickly as possible, because they love to eat flower bed.

All images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Attachments

• White throated sparrow.jpg
    White throated sparrow.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 44
  • towhee, etc.jpg
    towhee, etc.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 40
  • black capped chickadee.jpg
    black capped chickadee.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 35
  • yellow-bellied flycatcher.jpg
    yellow-bellied flycatcher.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 33
Kingbirds

Hello all,

I have been seeing kingbirds, on occasion, for a coupe of weeks. Today, I saw a pair and a nest, behind the stage of the Delacorte Theatre. The dock on Turtle Pond is a good viewpoint. I think that there was a nesting pair, nearby, a month, ago. Also, today I saw a northern flicker, which I had not seen for quite a while.

Turtle Pond has been an almost daily spot for seeing wood ducks, a male and a juvenile,night herons, double crested cormorants and great egrets. Additionally, I saw gadwalls there, on Monday, when I saw an egret catch a fish and swallow it.

My schedule seems to preclude bird watching from the end of August to the tenth of September. So I should catch the beginning of the autumnal migration.

Images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Kingbird.jpg
    Kingbird.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 51
  • flicker.jpg
    flicker.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 36
  • gadwall.jpg
    gadwall.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 46
something is happening

Hello,

Last week, I saw a blue winged warbler, in Strawberry Fields, which surprised me. Today, I saw a young warbling vireo but it may have been hatched in the Park. Also today, I saw a northern waterthrush, where the Gill empties into the Lake, as well as a downy woodpecer. and a female Baltimore Oriole. Recently, I saw wood ducks on the Lake. So there are more around, or they move from Turtle Pond to the Lake.

It is not yet August, and we are getting some activity.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• blue winged.jpg
    blue winged.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 40
  • warbling vireo.jpg
    warbling vireo.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 32
  • northern waterthrush.jpg
    northern waterthrush.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Downy.JPG
    Downy.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 35
Waders

Hello,

This has been a good week for waders. I am pretty sure I saw a spotted sandpiper whiz over the Lake. For sure, I saw my first green heron of the season, along the Northern Lobe of the Lake, near Oak Bridge. On Turtle Pond, where I frequently see egrets, I spotted a juvenile great blue heron. I also saw a red-tailed hawk have a rat for breakfast.

In the course of the last week, at Triplets Bridge, I saw another northern waterthrush and a Baltimore Oriole.

I still see Eastern kingbirds, near Turtle Pond, and near the Island in the Lake.

The illustrations are by Louis Agassiz Fuertes; the photograph of the heron was taken with my iPod.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• herons, green.jpg
    herons, green.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Heron, Immature great blue.jpg
    Heron, Immature great blue.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Red-tailed on a branch.jpg
    Red-tailed on a branch.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 100
Hello all,

Warblers are returning to Central Park, but not many have shown themselves to me. More than a week, ago, I saw an American redstart and a black and white warbler, then nothing until Wednesday when I saw a b]Swainson's thrush[/b]. However I have been seeing more woodpeckers, including red bellied woodpeckers and northern flickers.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Attachments

• American redstart.jpg
    American redstart.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 68
  • black and white warbler.jpg
    black and white warbler.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Swainsons thrush.jpg
    Swainsons thrush.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Red bellied woodpecker.jpg
    Red bellied woodpecker.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 65
  • flicker.jpg
    flicker.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 76
late August

Hello all,

I saw a white breasted nuthatch, last week. It must be the earliest I have seen one, but others tell me that that outside the city, they are to be seen all summer. I find that they they cheer me, especially when they circle down around a tree trunk, head first. Two other birds, which I usually miss in the summer are black capped chickadees and tufted titmice, which also turned up, last week.

Canada warblers, magnolia warblers and common yellowthroats have also been seen in Central Park.

Starting Saturday, I will be gone for about two weeks, on holiday and even a a holiday from bird watching. In my other life, I am a culture vulture.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• nuthatches II.jpg
    nuthatches II.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 63
  • tufted titmouse.jpg
    tufted titmouse.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Canada warbler.jpg
    Canada warbler.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 66
  • Magnolia warbler.jpg
    Magnolia warbler.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 61
  • yellow-throat.jpg
    yellow-throat.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 75
Hello Arthur

I enjoyed the culture around Central Park on my recent holiday, the Met is fantastic and also the Frick Collection. Went to see "piggy eyes" aka Thomas Cromwell and Sir Thomas More, both painted by Holbien. Enjoyed MoMA and the Guggenheim although the rotunda was closed.
My wife and I enjoyed a guided walk with "Bob the birder" very informative. I would recommend it to anyone visiting New York and wishing to become acquainted with the bird life of Central Park.

Birds and culture

Hello Robert,

Yes, Central Park is a treasure. You could have mentioned the American Museum
of Natural History, the New York Historical Society, the Museum of the City of New York, the Cooper Hewitt Museum of Design and the Guggenheim Museums, as well. Birding Bob de Candido certainly gives value for money.

Since my return from my far flung vacation, on two distant continents, I have had poor pickings. Gadwalls and an American coot on Turtle Pond; Eastern wood pewee, red eyed vireos, chestnut sided warbler and a Tennessee warbler.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• coot.jpg
    coot.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 59
  • Eastern wood pe(e)wee.jpg
    Eastern wood pe(e)wee.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 66
  • Red eyed vireo.jpg
    Red eyed vireo.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 62
  • warbler, chestnut sided.jpg
    warbler, chestnut sided.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Tennessee warbler.jpg
    Tennessee warbler.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 68
I'll be in New York for a few days in November - so I'll be keeping tabs on your posts here between then & now.
I'm not on a birding trip - but will certainly be in Central Park one day.

Hello all,

I spotted a rather early bird, this morning: a ruddy duck, not in breeding plumage. I also got a fleeting glance at a hooded warbler. Plenty of American redstarts and black and white warblers, while the gray catbirds are still common.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Ruddy duck.jpg
    Ruddy duck.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 67
  • hooded warbler.jpg
    hooded warbler.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 57
some nice ones

Hello all,

That American coot returned to Turtle Pond, joining even more gadwalls. On Sunday, I met Birding Bod de Candido's group, on the lakeshore, near the Gill. I mentioned that the male ruddy duck was still t be seen on the Lake. Most of his group shifted to the shore to see the ruddy duck, which everyone acknowledges is very early. Bob did not seem to mind that I had interrupted his tour.
On the other hand, the same day I saw a well known and knowledgeable birder, to whom I said, "I hope that you get a chance to see the ruddy duck on the Lake." To which she replied, "Why should I?" "Because it is early."

Today, I saw a scarlet tanager in autumnal colours, and on Sunday, there was a female or juvenile Baltimore Oriole. In the last few days, I spotted a black throated blue warbler. Today's highlights included an an American goldfinch, a brown thrasher, close to Azalea Pond, a glimpse of a Philadelphia vireo and a prothonotary warbler.

All illustrations are by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Black throated blue wing.jpg
    Black throated blue wing.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 81
  • goldfinch.jpg
    goldfinch.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 82
  • brown thrasher.jpg
    brown thrasher.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 80
  • philadelphia vireo.jpg
    philadelphia vireo.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 80
  • prothonotary.jpg
    prothonotary.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
another early arrival

Hello,

I have been seeing yellow rumped warblers, an ovenbird[/] near Azalea Pond, unidentified flycatchers. Today, I saw my first white throated sparrow, so autumn has arrived with the equinox.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Attachments

• Yellow rumped or myrtle warbler.jpg
    Yellow rumped or myrtle warbler.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 76
  • ovenbird.jpg
    ovenbird.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 70
  • White throated sparrow.jpg
    White throated sparrow.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 82
Lots of white throated sparrows

Hello,

White throated sparrows are returning in numbers. Others have seen scarlet tanagers and rose breasted grosbeaks. Today, I saw a scarlet crowned kinglet, a common yellowthroat, Eastern wood pewee, another black throated green, and that American coot is still on Turtle pond.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• kinglets.jpg
    kinglets.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Maryland yellowthroat.jpg
    Maryland yellowthroat.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 78
hermit thrushes

Hello,

For more than a week, I have been seeing hermit thrushes. In the last few days, I have seen Eastern towhees, yellow bellied sapsuckers, a chipping sparrow and a song sparrow. Today's best birds were female indigo buntings.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Attachments

• Hermit thrush.jpg
    Hermit thrush.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 78
  • yellow bellied sapsucker.jpg
    yellow bellied sapsucker.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 81
  • chipping sparrow.jpg
    chipping sparrow.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Song sparrow.jpg
    Song sparrow.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Indigo bunting.jpg
    Indigo bunting.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 89
phoebe

Hello all,

The temperature at dawn was about 4ºC, but it warmed to 7ºC, when I returned home; definitely autumnal weather. For those who are sartorially inclined, I wore a Harris tweed cap, for today's outing.

Today's best birds were a blue headed vireo and a brown creeper. Those creepers can be very brief visitors during the migrations or lengthy visitors. Two years, ago, I saw them well into winter.

Hermit thrushes are rather plentiful and I think there has been an increase in common grackles. I usually see purple race grackles but I have been noticing some bronze race grackles. Northern flickers may be the most common woodpecker, at the moment. Earlier this week I saw phoebes.

All images are by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• blue headed vireo.jpg
    blue headed vireo.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Brown creeper.jpg
    Brown creeper.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Grackles, bronzed.jpg
    Grackles, bronzed.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 80
  • flicker.jpg
    flicker.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 73
  • phoebe.jpg
    phoebe.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 65
kinglets

Hello,

Kinglets, including ruby crowned kinglets/b] are all over the Park. Warblers like yellow rumped and magnolia warblers do turn up. Seasonal arrivals including juncoes, tufted titmice and black capped chickadees have turned up. Typically, I see Eastern towhees, everyday.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Ruby crowned kinglets.jpg
    Ruby crowned kinglets.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Magnolia warbler.jpg
    Magnolia warbler.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 61
  • juncoes.jpg
    juncoes.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 81
  • tufted titmouse.jpg
    tufted titmouse.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 80
  • black capped chickadee.jpg
    black capped chickadee.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 74
Subject: Central Park NYC - Monday October 26, 2015 including Blue-winged Warbler & Wilson's Warbler
Date: Tue Oct 27 2015 11:00 am

Central Park NYC

Monday October 26, 2015

OBS: Robert DeCandido, m.ob. on bird walk starting from Strawberry Fields

The highlight was a very late Blue-winged Warbler found by Wolfgang Demisch at Strawberry Fields before the walk. The latest date for Blue-winged Warbler in Central Park is October 30th. The latest date for Wilson's Warbler in Central Park is October 31st.

Wood Duck - 3 or 4 (male & female)

American Black Duck - 1

Northern Shoveler - 4

Green-winged Teal - 2

Red-headed Woodpecker - dive-bombing a squirrel in a Black Locust tree

Red-bellied Woodpecker - 5

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - 5

Downy Woodpecker - 2

Northern Flicker - 3

Peregrine Falcon - flyover (Ben King)

Eastern Phoebe - 2

Blue-headed Vireo - found by Bob Ruvolo at the Pinetum

Black-capped Chickadee - 3

Tufted Titmouse - 2

Red-breasted Nuthatch - 2 male at the Pinetum

White-breasted Nuthatch - 6

Winter Wren - 1

Golden-crowned Kinglet - 5

Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 8

Hermit Thrush - 20

Brown Thrasher - 1

Blue-winged Warbler

Blackpoll Warbler - 1

Palm Warbler - 3

Yellow-rumped Warbler - 10

Wilson's Warbler - the Oven (probably the bird found by Alice Deutsch on Sunday)

Eastern Towhee - 5

Song Sparrow - 10

White-throated Sparrow - 75

Dark-eyed Junco - 10

Baltimore Oriole - immature at Maintenance Field feeding on Virginia Creeper berries

House Finch - 3

Deborah Allen for Robert DeCandido
www.BirdingBob.com

Lots of hermit thrushes

Hello Deborah,

Thank you for letting BFers know what can be seen in Central Park, with 20 or more pairs of eyes, on a long walk throughout the Park. I am a lone visitor, who spends a slow hour and a half, which includes chatting up the tourists.

First of all, there seems to be a shortage of kinglets, in the last few days, but a plentitude of hermit thrushes. Of course, there are still plenty of mourning doves, northern cardinals, blue jays, grackles and white throated sparrows.

Some seasonal firsts for me include northern shovel[l]lerss on the Lake, wood ducks on Turtle Pond, a white breasted nuthatch and a red-bellied woodpeckerand more downy woodpeckers. I also spotted a brow thrasher in the Oven.

There are more waterfowl species possible on the Reservoir but I rarely get there, except on Sundays. However, last Sunday, there was rain and a noon appointment. This Sunday, the New York Marathon will be run, wreaking havoc on access.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Shovelers and Wood ducks.jpg
    Shovelers and Wood ducks.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 74
  • nuthatches II.jpg
    nuthatches II.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Red bellied woodpecker.jpg
    Red bellied woodpecker.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Downy.JPG
    Downy.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 70
  • brown thrasher.jpg
    brown thrasher.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 75
Two good ones, today

Hello,

As I wrote, I did not expect to visit my usual haunts, this weekend. However, today I saw a bird which has been near the Oven, for the last few days: an immature redheaded woodpecker. North of Turtle Pond, on the east side of the law, near the water, I spotted a vesper sparrow, a life bird.

Both images are by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• immature red headed woodpecker.jpg
    immature red headed woodpecker.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 76
  • Vesper sparrow.jpg
    Vesper sparrow.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 78
ducks

Hello,

As I suspected the New York Marathon prevented my entering Central Park at both W. 72nd and W. 81st Streets. So I walked to W. 86th Street and proceeded to the Reservoir, known to tourists as the Jackie Onassis Reservoir, but the name has yet to be widely adopted by the locals. [If you ask a local about Avenue of the Americas, there might be a delay before he realizes you are talking about Sixth Avenue which was renamed 75 years, ago. The city fathers gave up and again renamed it "Sixth Avenue of the Americas."]

At the Reservoir, I was pleased to see a northern shovel[l]er, a flock of ruddy ducks and [/b]hooded mergansers[/b], a first for this season. Being in a good mood, I went farther north to the Pool, at West 100th Street, where I saw two very colourful male wood ducks. Another BF'er, Étudiant told me that wood ducks were in full colour in the autumn. Along with the wood ducks were a pair of male buffleheads, fat diving ducks once known to hunters as 'butterballs."

For the rest of the week, I have little to reports except another brown creeper and a swamp sparrow on the [i[Riviera]/b]shore of the Lake.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe:

Attachments

• Ruddy duck.jpg
    Ruddy duck.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 73
  • hooded mergansers.jpg
    hooded mergansers.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 88
  • Wood duck.jpg
    Wood duck.jpg