• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Nikon 300mm f/4 VR (1 Viewer)

I agree that we need to wait for the first tests and reports on this new lens, but I must say, I can't get the attached picture out of my head. Man that is a significantly smaller and lighter lens! Truly hand-holdable all day long. Much easier to take with other lenses when traveling or on long hikes. So I'm still going to wait, but I'm finding myself more intrigued by the new lens than I expected because of the small size and weight. It seems the main risk with the DO or PF lens design is flare when shooting toward a bright light, but I usually try to avoid that for my bird photography. The MTF chart is really excellent, but that may be theoretical, not measured. We just have to wait and see the first real reports. I also have lingering doubts about the build quality. Nikon's announcement said, "built to suit the needs of serious photographers in the field..." Hmmff... We'll see.

Dave

Attachments

• Nikkor-300mm-f4D-IF-ED-vs-Nikkor-300mm-f4E-VR.jpg
    Nikkor-300mm-f4D-IF-ED-vs-Nikkor-300mm-f4E-VR.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 1,003
Last edited:
Regarding the 300 being too short, I would agree, but when you look at available options for hand-holdable birding lenses, the 300+1.4X teleconverter has proven itself to be a very effective alternative, especially on a crop body. Yes, it's a bit short for small birds, but for larger birds in flight I think a 300+1.4X works pretty well. The wider 420mm field of view might make it little easier to find a bird in flight and lock on, compared to say a 600mm. Would I rather have a lightweight prime 400 or 500 without adding any teleconverter? Maybe, but I have to go with what's available. I have found a compact 300+1.4X lens to be a good companion to a larger heavier lens that I use with tripod/flash. Reach is not everything. There's a lot to be said for having something that is easy to grab, point and fire quickly.

Dave

Last edited:
I had been about to switch camera systems to Olympus who are bringing out their own mft 300f4 but that is on hold now. I'm very interested in this lens and if the IQ is as good as the current 300 f4 plus if it takes tc's well I will probably stay with Nikon.
Only problem is how much do i get for my current 300f4 which is less than a year old.

Regards Gerard.

I had been about to switch camera systems to Olympus who are bringing out their own mft 300f4 but that is on hold now. I'm very interested in this lens and if the IQ is as good as the current 300 f4 plus if it takes tc's well I will probably stay with Nikon.
Only problem is how much do i get for my current 300f4 which is less than a year old.

Regards Gerard.

the list price of the new 300/4 PF is about 75% above the older one,
thats quite a lot...not everyone will pay that much for a 300/4 lens,
so there will still be a second hand market for a cheaper alternative is my guess.

I guess for ultimate portability and with record shots in mind coupled with a Nikon V3 would be useful. Dedicated Nikon users may benefit from this but I guess many people reach and finance limited may be tempted by one of the sigma/tamron offerings assuming weight and bulk aren't an issue. As a birder with a camera, rather than a photographer, I've pretty much never used my 100-400 anywhere between short and long ends other than the odd bread-fed white-winger or geese/swans in flight. As usual it will be interesting to see reviews and examples from wildlife togs. On the bright side maybe it'll put some cheap previous version 300s on the market to hook up to my V1!
Russ

Last edited:
As it's smaller and lighter I probably won't drop it as much as the 300/4 afs but I suspect it won't be as robust. My 300/4 +1.4x has got me more "keepers"than any other gear I've got. It's the lens you always have with you. I love my 500/4 afs but it doesn't get out as much and doesn't travel as well.
If it's sharp and small it should sell well.
Neil

Over on the dpreview forums there is a thread with example images of birds including some birds in flight, here:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3785702

Those crops look pretty good to me at full size, especially for hand-held images in rather harsh light. I'd like to see more.

Dave

thanks for the link,
looks very promising,
the bokeh seem to be fine,

and more shots at his pbase page:

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/nikon_300_f4_vr

these ones are probably 100% crop

http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/158841985
http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/158880365
http://www.pbase.com/lance_b/image/158880375

Last edited:
Anyone here had the chance to test out the new nikon 300mm f4 vr here?

It would be nice if someone could share the experience in using and the IQ that this lil gem might produce...

Was thinking of getting one and couple it with TC 1.7 or TC 2.0 for action handheld shots.... :)

Edit: was it me or my monitor that the yellow naped lapwing cropped head shot DSC_0167crop.jpg has got a tinge of blueish CA on white...

Last edited:
Anyone here had the chance to test out the new nikon 300mm f4 vr here?

It would be nice if someone could share the experience in using and the IQ that this lil gem might produce...

Was thinking of getting one and couple it with TC 1.7 or TC 2.0 for action handheld shots.... :)

Edit: was it me or my monitor that the yellow naped lapwing cropped head shot DSC_0167crop.jpg has got a tinge of blueish CA on white...

doesn't look like typical longitudinal CA to me, but it's some kind of blueish tint…might be some whitebalance issue, correcting the image myself made it look a bit better.

in-camera jpg:s are probably corrected for lateral CA anyway, so it's hard to say something about CA performance on the bare lens.

More bird photos that look pretty good to me:
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3800843

I guess nobody on our little Nikon forum has the lens yet... It seems that Nikon did not deliver very many of these lenses in the first shipments. I don't think very many people have it yet. There are a few reports that some copies of the lens have a problem with VR at moderately low shutter speeds, but not every lens shows the problem and with so few of the lenses floating around it's hard to say how big a problem it is. Apart from this, most of the early reports indicate that the image quality of the lens is equivalent to the old heavier lens or very slightly better in some cases.

Dave

I have 2 copies of the lens and I also got one for a good friend. Neither of the 3 has the VR issue so it looks like some batches were ok and some not.

Thanks

does that mean that they are on general sale and that if you order one from say WEX or Amazon they then get them from Japan and fulfil your order.

Any idea how long it takes as I will only be back in the UK for a couple of weeks and I would want to receive it in the UK?

Last edited:
As far as I know there is a waiting list and Nikon only releases very few every now and then. Even people from the US find it difficult to locate a copy currently.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back