• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus E-M1 MarkII: OH MY! (1 Viewer)

Re price: probably debut a little higher than mark 1

Niels

Edit: for me, the jury is still out regarding this vs the G85/81/80 and vs the GH5

Re price: probably debut a little higher than mark 1

Niels

Edit: for me, the jury is still out regarding this vs the G85/81/80 and vs the GH5

I'm sure the Panasonics will be great for video.
and 18MP stills from 6k video..in the Gh5...phew...sweet
But still no phase detection focus?

For BIF the EM-1 MKII might be the best choice.
But not sure how the olympus will match 100-400 panaleica?

My argument is that both Pana and Oly are claiming improved autofocus. I would like to see how real users get on with long lenses before taking the splurge. The DFD in Pana unfortunately will not work with oly lenses, the opposite direction should work.

Niels

My argument is that both Pana and Oly are claiming improved autofocus. I would like to see how real users get on with long lenses before taking the splurge. The DFD in Pana unfortunately will not work with oly lenses, the opposite direction should work.

Niels

I suspect the lens/body stabilization will not work in combination if mixing lens/body of different manufacturers?

Seems to be the case, but the Oly IS is SO good anyway, and supposedly improved in the Mark II by 1.5 stops, so who really needs the combination? With the E-M1 I can quite easily hold 1/30 with a 400mm lens. Sure, the mass of the Canon 400/5.6 helps a lot, and I can get much better IS results from it than I can with the feather weight 75-300. The Pana/Leica is no light weight. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I suspect the lens/body stabilization will not work in combination if mixing lens/body of different manufacturers?

My thinking is similar to Dan's: I believe you can get about 4 stops with the lens only in the pana 100-400, and about the same with the in body oly stabilization alone. You could probably get about 5 stops by combining within one brand. But in bird photography, you also have to think about movement of the target, it is not like taking city- or landscapes.

Another feature if considering the 100-400 (which is what I am thinking of) would be the high iso performance, because the lens is not really fast. Which camera will be best there?

Niels

My thinking is similar to Dan's: I believe you can get about 4 stops with the lens only in the pana 100-400, and about the same with the in body oly stabilization alone. You could probably get about 5 stops by combining within one brand. But in bird photography, you also have to think about movement of the target, it is not like taking city- or landscapes.

Another feature if considering the 100-400 (which is what I am thinking of) would be the high iso performance, because the lens is not really fast. Which camera will be best there?

Niels

I think 6-stops have been marketed for the olympus combo. Useful for video mostly I guess. I doubt there will be a major difference in noise performance. Sensor size is what it is. To get any significant better noise performance APS-C would be the way to go.

Also, it is in fact better to turn IS of all together if there is enough light to freeze the action. It does make a difference in clarity. IS is a trade off, great when you need it, but a hindrance when you don't.

A per noise... I will wait and see what they he been able to achieve. It is amazing what you can get out of modern smart phones, and they don't have much in the way of sensor real estate! Processing seems to be the key to "get around" the laws of physics. Still, I would love to come even close to the D500 with the E.M1 II. That would really make it a winner!

Last edited:
Well that's a bit of a bombshell EM1mk2 at £1850 shipping December, that's without the grip!
Kind regards Mike

Yes, that is well out of my budget. I will read the reviews to see if it is much of an improvement on the Mk 1 version and wait to see what the price is in a year or two.

Ron

I saw a note about the exchange rate giving an almost 25% disadvantage for a Japanese company now compared to when the mark I was announced.

Niels

Well that's a bit of a bombshell EM1mk2 at £1850 shipping December, that's without the grip!

At that price the Olympus is a no-go for bird photography. Simple as that. For that price a D500 with its proven, excellent AF and the many, many top-quality lenses that can be used with it the D500 seems like a far better camera for bird photography. And when used with the small, light new 4/300+converter it won't be much heavier than the Olympus with the 4/300, with similar reach and better IQ.

Hermann

At that price the Olympus is a no-go for bird photography. Simple as that. For that price a D500 with its proven, excellent AF and the many, many top-quality lenses that can be used with it the D500 seems like a far better camera for bird photography. And when used with the small, light new 4/300+converter it won't be much heavier than the Olympus with the 4/300, with similar reach and better IQ.

Hermann

Disagree--it is much more complicated than that. Olympus also has high quality lower priced cameras. Also, arguably, you will get either higher image quality (in terms of low light performance) OR similar reach with the D500--but not both, because you'll have to crop to get similar reach (when using lenses of the same magnification) which will degrade image quality. The Oly 300mm f4 also has better optics and image stabilization than the Nikon 300mm PF lens, and you can also use the lightweight panasonic-leica 100-400mm zoom--Nikon has no comparable lightweight zoom.

Disagree--it is much more complicated than that. Olympus also has high quality lower priced cameras. Also, arguably, you will get either higher image quality (in terms of low light performance) OR similar reach with the D500--but not both, because you'll have to crop to get similar reach (when using lenses of the same magnification) which will degrade image quality. The Oly 300mm f4 also has better optics and image stabilization than the Nikon 300mm PF lens, and you can also use the lightweight panasonic-leica 100-400mm zoom--Nikon has no comparable lightweight zoom.

The Oly 300/4 seems to be an excellent lens, not so sure about the 100-400 leica. Very slow aperture, for action shots, ISO will hit the upper limits of MFT to often I suspect.
Current MFT cams, in noise terms/DR, seem be close to the 6 year old D7000. Hopefully the E-M1 II can get closer to the D7200 in performance.

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Com...-Nikon-D7000-versus-Nikon-D300s___909_680_614

Last edited:
Another nugget from the rumor site:
If you though the $1,999 price tag could kill the E-MII “enthusiams”…well it looks we were all wrong: At the moment the E-M1II is the best seller at Amazon mirrorless ranking (Click here). And it’s almost on top of the overall DSLR+Mirrorless camera ranking (Click here).

Niels

The Oly 300/4 seems to be an excellent lens, not so sure about the 100-400 leica. Very slow aperture, for action shots, ISO will hit the upper limits of MFT to often I suspect.
Current MFT cams, in noise terms/DR, seem be close to the 6 year old D7000. Hopefully the E-M1 II can get closer to the D7200 in performance.

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Com...-Nikon-D7000-versus-Nikon-D300s___909_680_614

The 100-400mm is just as fast as the comparable Nikon zoom lenses (which are f5.6 at 400mm--not a material difference). I expect the best APS-C sensors to be less noisy in low light than m4/3 sensors for the forseeable future just because of the difference in sensor size, which affects the amount of light that is gathered. But if you crop your APS-C shots, you get an equivalent noise sensitivity to m4/3.

The US $2000 intro price of the E-M1 MarkII came as a surprise to me. I totally understand people who may balk and reconsider using APS-C options.

I'm in a different situation from most people because presently I'm highly invested in both Nikon APS-C and Olympus micro-4/3, having recently purchased the Oly 300mm f/4 Pro. That is a really an idiotic situation for me and someday I will surely sell one system (with a big loss) and remain committed/invested in the other. But it is not really an apples-to-apples comparison, because one system is mirrorless and the other is not. I think the future best systems for bird photography will be mirrorless, either micro-4/3 or APS-C format. Right now if you really want the advantages of mirrorless, I think the E-M1 Mark II is the best option, but wow, $2K. I haven't pre-ordered it yet, but I probably eventually will because I already have the big 300mm...

Thom Hogan had a good little post about the reasons why we are seeing higher and higher prices:
http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/the-price-of-enthusiasm.html

Dave

Last edited:
If I had the 300 f4, I would indeed get the mk 2, but not right away. Since I don't, and do not see myself getting rid of my scopes, a mk 2 will be wasted on me... and without the handheld high-rez not being done, I'll remain with my workhorse, th e-m5 mk1, til it drops dead

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back