• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Llangollen bridge (1 Viewer)

Peloquin

Hello all. I'm thinking of heading over to Llangollen and gabbing a look round the river by the bridge.
It looks an ideal spot to see Dippers but when would be the best time to see them?
Any chance of Kingfishers in that area?
What other species would I be likely to spot?
Thank you.

Yes good place for dippers, the cornmill pub/restaurant is particularly handily placed overlooking the bridge.
Almost all the smaller rivers around here are good for dippers.
Kingfishers possible but elusive, I've had red kites up in the hills if you're mobile.
Horseshoe falls, accessible via the canal towpath, would be a good walk after the river, dippers mandarin pied flycatcher possible.

Well typically, my mate and I decided on a fishing trip to Barmouth. We arranged it a couple of weeks ago but the weather was terrible in Saturday in Barmouth. We got absolutely drenched writhing half an hour of being there and by 8am were heading back as the weather seemed set in for the day. We stopped in Llangollen and went for breakf as t in the cafe/bookshop then had a quick look over the bridge but we're both to income and damp to really have heart in anything other than getting back to stoke and drying off.
I'm hoping to go over there again soon so fingers crossed I'll be able to scratch Dippers off my list.

Well typically, my mate and I decided on a fishing trip to Barmouth. We arranged it a couple of weeks ago but the weather was terrible in Saturday in Barmouth. We got absolutely drenched writhing half an hour of being there and by 8am were heading back as the weather seemed set in for the day. We stopped in Llangollen and went for breakf as t in the cafe/bookshop then had a quick look over the bridge but we're both to income and damp to really have heart in anything other than getting back to stoke and drying off.
I'm hoping to go over there again soon so fingers crossed I'll be able to scratch Dippers off my list.

You can see dippers a lot closer to home , dovedale is good , :t:

You can see dippers a lot closer to home , dovedale is good , :t:

I've been up there a couple of times but that's it. Never seen a great deal but that might be simply because I've always had 2 kids yelling and screaming and running around. They are older now so it's worth another wander around. Cheers.

Looking for exposed rocks in the river which are covered in bird poo is a good way of locating their favourite spots!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back