• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should starling nest be removed? (1 Viewer)

irs101

Hi all

Very much enjoyed our first season with guests - blue tits in a box with camera - kids loved it and I was a fairly avid viewer. 9 out of 10 hatched and successfully flew the nest.

I was less keen on the starlings we had nesting in the a roofspace - got there because the builders left a big gap at the top of the wall under the eaves - forgot to install the ventilation grill. Big mess all over the windows, walls and paving outside!

They seem to have had a successful season and have now flown the nest, so we're getting the builders to finish the job and block up the gap.

Question is, should we be worried about leaving the nest in the roof space? I can't get a clear view of how much of a mess is in there. To get it out they would need to take off the tiles or cut a whole in the ceiling. The builders are not keen!

Any views on the best thing to do?

Will make sure we put up a suitable nesting box in a better place next year!

Thanks

Ian.

Personally I wouldn't be worried. Starling nests are usually pretty flimsy affairs judging by what's left (not a lot!) in the two nest boxes they use around my house each year. Just block up the entrance hole and yes, please do add another box or two in more suitable places - they are not as common as they used to be, and the big murmurations are mainly Continental visitors I believe.

Mick

Perfect. Thanks.

Really enjoyed having the blue tits and would have enjoyed the starlings if it weren't for the huge mess they made all over the steps and glass around the entrance to the nest! So definitely will be getting more boxes.

Ian.

... if it weren't for the huge mess they made all over the steps and glass around the entrance to the nest!

Perhaps fit a large tray below the nestbox - you won't catch all of the droppings, but will get a lot of them, making the cleanup task more manageable :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back