• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moth for I/D (1 Viewer)

Is this ID based on something you see on the hindwing Richard?

Our recorder won't accept Rusic / Uncertain without dissection.

A
I record them separately, purely for my own satisfaction as the CMR in Surrey won’t accept the records either. As long as the moths are fresh it’s usually quite straightforward and made easier by the earlier emergence of Uncertain (here it’s about 2 weeks) so you have time to get your eye in before the Rustics appear. This goes on for 3 or 4 weeks after which, most of the moths are too worn to be reliably split. It’s also worth noting that only specimens showing two or three of the different characters should be separated as there will be moths that show a mix of features. This link gives more detail:
http://www.mothscount.org/uploads/Difficult_species_guide_page_82.pdf

I record them separately, purely for my own satisfaction as the CMR in Surrey won’t accept the records either. As long as the moths are fresh it’s usually quite straightforward and made easier by the earlier emergence of Uncertain (here it’s about 2 weeks) so you have time to get your eye in before the Rustics appear. This goes on for 3 or 4 weeks after which, most of the moths are too worn to be reliably split. It’s also worth noting that only specimens showing two or three of the different characters should be separated as there will be moths that show a mix of features. This link gives more detail:
http://www.mothscount.org/uploads/Difficult_species_guide_page_82.pdf

Thanks Richard,
I agree basically, I've always thought it possible in some cases but haven't bothered as they won't be accepted. I suppose I could do it just for my own satisfaction.

A

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back