• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else have the oculars frost over from the moisture from their eyes when ambien (1 Viewer)

Bob A (SD)

Anyone else have the oculars frost over from the moisture from their eyes when >>

the ambient temperature is a single digit or less? Drives me nuts :(

the ambient temperature is a single digit or less? Drives me nuts :(

Hello Bob,

My problem is that my eyeglasses fog up, and it does not take single digits, Fahrenheit. For me, they are part of the oculars. Please realize that my eyeglasses are not protected from my breath, while you may have some protection from the eye cups.

In single digits, or -13 or -14 iin Celsius, if I bring the binocular indoors, to a warm, humid environment, the objectives fog up. At 0ºF, -18ºC, the fog on my eyeglasses turns to ice. It happened to me in Minnesota.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood:hi:

Last edited:
Oh yeah, at least between 10 and 20 F. The longer the eye relief the better, and lowering the eyecups so the eye steam doesn't get trapped in there with the cold glass helps. Also, keeping your views as brief as possible. And something that really helps is the modern coatings, which although only advertised to shed water and make cleaning easier, reduce fogging too.

Another issue is, you might be doing ok out on a dry cold day with the binocular chilled down, but things will frost/fog over when you come into a warm humid place like a warm car where people are breathing. (They will do that even if you beg them to stop.) On a day like that, my wife and I were out, she with her Swarotop coated SV, me with a Leica Ultravid BR without such a coating. We finished up at one place and got in the car to go someplace else, and my binocular was out of business for the rest of the day. We shared views with hers.

Ron

Wrap a scarf around your mouth and nose below -15C.
Only breathe below the scarf.

Some eyecups have small holes that help.

Actually, the longer the binoculars are outdoors in cold weather, the more likely it is that condensation will form on the eyepieces. The condensation is basically dew, so as the surface temperature of the eye lens drops, the more likely that any water vapor (in your breath for example) will condense onto the lens. For me, this happens sometimes in cold weather, but I try to keep my bins warmer inside my jacket when not in use to try to minimize it.

peatmoss,
I've tried that approach too to no avail:( I guess Maljunulo has the best option.

Bob:

It has been a brutal start to winter, and I am farther north than you are.

I agree, just take a break, things will get better. ;)

Take everything in moderation.

Jerry

Would some chemical hand warmers rubber banded to the barrels help? I remember reading about this trick for film photography. Cold weather could make the film brittle, so photographers would strap a hand warmer to the back of the camera body just to keep the film pliable. I wonder if hand warmers near the oculars could warm enough to keep them clear?

If the hand warmer trick has been tried I've never heard of it. It seems reasonable. Keeping the binocular warm inside your coat is similar, and effective, but inconvenient depending on the outing. Like, whoops, there went a bird--I COULD have seen it, because my binocular is not fogged up!

Ron

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back