• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on Budget Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Speireag

Good afternoon all,

I plan to purchase a set of binoculars for general outdoor use (hiking included) and a bit of hunting. I've done quite a bit of reading here on the forums over the last week or so, and would like to ask a question or two prior to purchasing. I'm primarily looking at the $100-150 price range, though I could spend more ($200-300) if need be. That said, if I don't have to spend the money, I'd rather not.

The consensus seems to be that porro binoculars will provide a superior viewing experience at a given price range. The Yosemite, Kowa YF, and others have been mentioned as good budget contenders that perform well above their cost. I've also read good things about some of the budget roofs, like the Atlas Radian, ZR Vista, and so on.

As for the questions...

1) With respect to durability, just how difficult is it to knock a porro binocular out of alignment? As mentioned, I plan to do a bit of hiking, so light weight and durability are certainly a consideration. (It would be fantastic to have something that could stand up to light jogging, for example.) Is this a death wish with porros? Or are the aforementioned examples up to such duty? I don't abuse my gear, but I'd like to avoid something that is so fragile that a brief jog might result in porros becoming uncollimated.

2) With respect to optical performance... It seems that budget roofs have come a long way in the last few years, with much of the technology trickling down to binoculars like the Vista. At the $100-150 price point, are phase corrected roofs like the Radian and Vista significantly worse than porros? Or has the performance gap closed such that the optical differences can be neglected, and the nod might go to the roofs with respect to overall package?

Thank you for the advice and suggestions! As a additional note, I do not wear glasses.

Hi Speireag,

Welcome to the forum. I was expecting the US guys to jump in on this one, specially since some of the models you mention are not readily available here. Guess they were busy yesterday.

Just some general observations. Much as I like the Yosemite and it's clones it's not one I'd wan't to be carrying when jogging. I've not heard particular problems with fragility , but the design of porros don't lend themselves to shock resistance. You are right that for a given price point porros normally offer better value but phase coating and even dielectric prism coating are gradually finding their way into more affordable models. I've not seen the Zen-Ray vista (or Atlas Radian) but it appears well specified for the price but I would have thought 24oz is a bit heavy for hiking or particularly jogging. Though it would stretch your budget the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 looks like a great fit for your needs. It's cheaper brother the Prostaff 7s 8x30 probably wouldn't match the Zen-Ray for quality of view but it's still not bad. A bit bigger, but still very light is the Sightron BSII 8x32 for which there is much enthusiasm on the forum.

Good luck,

David

Last edited:
Hi Speireag,

Nikon's Pro Staff 8x25 ATB meets most of your requirements. It is a reverse Porro prism binocular and doesn't need phase coatings. You could easily go jogging with it. It is small enough to fit in a shirt pocket, weighs 12.5 ounces, is waterproof, has 15.5mm eye relief, and a field of view of 330' @ 1000 yards. It costs about $130.00. I know a guy who takes one with him hunting here in Pennsylvania.

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/Nikon-Products/Binoculars/ProStaff-8x25-ATB.html

Bob

Last edited:
Well....

Optics Planet offered another 11% off today, so I spent a little more... and have ye olde Sightron SII Blue Sky 8x32's on the way for $160 to my door. I'll certainly post my thoughts in the thread a little later down the line.

I'd suggest Vortex Diamondback. A good performer at this price range and Vortex's VIP warranty. I use them quite often though I have some alpha bins.

Well....

Optics Planet offered another 11% off today, so I spent a little more... and have ye olde Sightron SII Blue Sky 8x32's on the way for $160 to my door. I'll certainly post my thoughts in the thread a little later down the line.

I think they are a good choice and you should be happy with them. They are a bit large to take jogging but a binocular harnass might work.

Bob

I think they are a good choice and you should be happy with them. They are a bit large to take jogging but a binocular harnass might work.

Bob

"Jogging" may not have been the best description, so much as leaping creeks, climbing trees, and general woodsy running around. (Well... I consider those things to be a little more gentle, anyway)

From what I hear, they weight in below average at 17oz, and are not too large. (5.5" x 5"). Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back