• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vintage binoculars (1 Viewer)

Viciouscat

Hello my name is Mike and I have a question. I recently found some binoculars that belonged to my grandfather and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how old they are. The are Brentwood 7x50 no#84079 and they are in a leather case. Thank you, any help would be appreciated.

Hi Viciouscat and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the Binocular forum, as they guys that frequent that area are more likely to have the information for you. I also subscribed you to this thread so that you don't lose track of it.

Hello my name is Mike and I have a question. I recently found some binoculars that belonged to my grandfather and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how old they are. The are Brentwood 7x50 no#84079 and they are in a leather case. Thank you, any help would be appreciated.

Welcome! A photo would be nice.

Brentwood sounds like one of hundreds of brand names for RE-BRANDED binos. You will find that the same basic bino may be sold under dozens of name with the only differences being in cosmetics, coatings, and cost.

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:
Since the different models and prices are mostly lost to time
you can differentiate quality by details in the focuser mechanism,
the eyepiece design, prisms, and the light suppression up front.
To tell those things there need to be many clear photos.

Not only were many names stamped on the same binoculars,
the same name was used for multiple quality levels, much as today.
In the example, I can tell the 'volcano-top' eyepieces are likely above average,
but the front design and focuser tightness are unknowable.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back