• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cursed with wide-set eyes (1 Viewer)

Tom Bombadil

Tender of Forests
I know there have to be more like me out there.

My Interpupillary Distance (IPD) is 74mm. This is a real curse when it comes to selecting a binocular. More than half of the binoculars on the market have a max IPD of less than 74.

Things are getting better. I am finding more 74+ max IPDs in recent years. Some going to 75.

It can be very frustrating when researching binos, reading reviews, finding a good deal, and then learning that this particular bino is unusable. Some manufacturers don't spec max IPD, others aren't careful about their measurements, I've tested a few with a spec of 74 which didn't open wide enough for me.

I envy people with IPDs in the 60s, where they never have to worry about this. At least mine aren't something like 76, which is very, very difficult to find.

Incredibly, my Father-in-law has an IPD of 83mm.
In looking for binos, I saw the first problem is the lack of publshed specs.
bhphotovideo works hard to get them when available.

A pattern emerged: that smaller, two-hinged folding compacts sometimes
(not always!) had wide IPDs.

Like...
The Leica 10x25 BCA Trinovid (32-83mm IPD!) ~$700
Tasco Essentials 10x25 (not stated, but a pawn shop example went to 85mm) ~$12

The Nikon 10x25 Premiere only goes to 73!
The Swaro 10x25 pocket...similar

I ended up sending some old Marlboro/Tasco cheapos from a yard sale
that went to 76mm. They are awful, but he loves them.
He bought some nice bigger Redfields, but the modern multicoating
pours violet into his foggy eyes and blinds him. Sent them back.
Slightly yellow and sharp in 50% of the field actually works for his eyes.
I looked for some nice really-oldies, yellowed but very sharp,
but they stop at 75mm, mostly.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back