• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (46 Viewers)

Eh up! Someone's rattled Orkney's cage. How is the Vireo Kid? Much up your way Paul... apart from dead Lap Bunts?

Don't worry I'll be doing my level best to find the next biggeeee.

Cheers

Frank

Lovely piece on Driffield's pioneering bird fieldguide 'A History of British Birds', by one Steve Lawton, on BirdGuides at the moment - http://www.birdguides.com/webzine/article.asp?a=2298

EDIT - That's the article by Steve Lawton, not the 19th Century field guide, but I'm sure you all knew that ;)

Thanks Pete. I think it is only right that I clarify that the author is my brother Dave, and the true credit for researching and writing goes to him. I did tell Birdguides this when I sent it in - honest guv! Oh, and I did scan the prints.

It is quite spooky though - we knew East Lodge was haunted. Mum and Dad didn't have an interest in birds. The first time I picked up a field guide I was hooked!

Good old Yorkshire though - no wonder we id 'em the best!

Last edited:
Off robin stroking Ken? ;)

Aye Keith, needs must for a non-motorised birder. You never know I might year tick a couple of old friends, Mike Leakey (warden of Seal Sands) and Chris Kehoe (member of BBRC).

If anyone from the Leeds area is off out on Sunday I'd definitely be interested. Always up for a day's birding. A seawatch might be productive given the weather forecast. Is it too early for Little Auk?

Had always fancied that Biscay trip but the distance to Portsmouth put me off

Last edited:
Oxenhope seems like a great inland site - some really interesting records in the past few weeks. Just shows plenty of stuff moving through inland.

23/09/10 Lapland Bunting, four flew over
23/09/10 Honey Buzzard
14/09/10 Osprey
13/09/10 Black Tern two flew over moors
13/09/10 Lapland Bunting
09/09/10 Wryneck
04/09/10 Lapland Bunting

The only Oxenhope I know is a station on the mainline to Scotland, just east of Kendal. Is there another?

Edit, I just looked on Google Earth and there is one near Keighley which would also provide for a bit of trainspotting

Last edited:
Remind me never to book a train journey without double checking. The station I was thinking of is Oxenholme. Only 50 miles out. Ho hum :eek!:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back