• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (25 Viewers)

I have found it the same Lawts, many of the birds I need are short-stayers or off shore - the flycatcher, RT Pipit, Rustic Bunting, Pied Wheatear.........I have found it very frustrating. Lots of stuff around but cant get to it for one reason or another.

When are you doing Ireland Steve? There's a right storm on Sunday/Monday, crosses the North Atlantic in under 24 hours, that'll surely drop something over there to compensate.

I had a really enjoyable trip to Flamborough this afternoon, co-finding the Rustic Bunting and Barred Warbler at North Landing. It was nice to meet some very friendly people over there. Highlights included:

Rustic Bunting - obviously!
Barred Warbler
Yellow-browed Warbler

Whinchat, Redstart, Brambling, Redwing etc - full report now on my blog.

Thanks, Andy

Filey - Highlights from the arrival 25th - 28th Sept

A really good few days in Filey's relatively 'condensed' core area (Country Park and adjacent field and hedgerows) produced:

Great Grey Shrike, 2 Barred Warbler, Yellow-browed Warbler, Wryneck, Firecrest, Hobby, Merlin, Short-eared Owl, Red-necked Grebe, c.35 Redstart, several Pied Fly, 1-2 Spot Fly, 4-5 Greater-spotted Woodpecker (in off), 5 Snow Bunts, 1-2 Lap Bunts, 50+ Chiffchaff, handful of Willow Warbler and a few more Garden Warbler, several hundred (each) Chaffinch, Robin, perhaps a few less Song Thrush, single Ring Ouzel, many Siskin, two or three Redpoll, close to 200 Goldcrest... just loads of good birds.

Even at last light on Carr Naze (28th) there were Chaffinch coming in, a Pied Fly dropped onto the end, crest were calling and a decent sized flock of Pink-feet passed overhead. Normally you get the chance to spread your wings a bit but this time the arrival was pretty much concentrated in and around the Country Park itself so it was all hands on deck in the core area. Also meant we could easily pop into Jack's Cafe for refreshments every now and again if we could drag ourselves away from the birds.

All good stuff. Back at work myself but looks promising for the next few days at least. Roll on the weekend.

Cheers

Frank

I really must mug up on these Herring Gull derivatives. There must be at least 3 ticks going begging.

You could pop into your local library and request a copy of Gulls of Europe, Asia and North America by Malling Olsen and Larsson ISBN 0-7136-7087-8 be cheaper than buying a copy and it's a bloody good read.

Having an entertaining afternoon watching a couple of jays helping themselves to the acorns on my oak. I'd always though they just took one or two and then flew off to cache them, but the birds today were cramming up to 6 acorns in to their crop and flying off with another in their beak, so potentially 7 at a time. Just hope they can strip the tree before the freaking tree rats turn up.;)

I really must mug up on these Herring Gull derivatives. There must be at least 3 ticks going begging.

Trust me, I don't fancy my own chances of peering through the gloom and the 700+ LBBGs and actually finding the Caspo and IDing it myself! Chance of a few Herrings and YLGs present up there to confuse matters too...

Good suggestion Keith. Phone call to central library, "Go to your local branch". Finally established after 15 minutes, a mere £4.50 for an inter-library loan. I really don't appreciate people learning on the job whilst the water is dripping off me

Last edited:
East Park...

Redpolls present today,
Spotted Flycatcher last week present for at least 3 days,
plus Kingfisher, Grey Wagtail and all the usual stuff.

Last edited:
I have a potential full day's birding on Saturday. It would mean letting a mate down but I'm itching to get out to the coast! Magic Seaweed saying mainly Southerly winds for tomorrow and Saturday though so not sure if it will be worth it? Are people predicting a good weekend?

I have a potential full day's birding on Saturday. It would mean letting a mate down but I'm itching to get out to the coast! Magic Seaweed saying mainly Southerly winds for tomorrow and Saturday though so not sure if it will be worth it? Are people predicting a good weekend?

Will the skies be clear?

Today at Spurn

Clear skies today at Spurn and the place was alive with birds.
Highlights were red-breasted flycatcher, great grey shrike (2) and yellow browed warbler.
plenty of common migrants including redstart, pied fly, spotted fly, whinchat, garden warbler, siskin and redpoll.
Also short eared owl.
Full account and pictures on the blog.

Why not just ignore the weather forecasts, which are more often than not wrong, and get out birding

Because it isn't often I can get out at the weekend so when I do manage to arrange some time for myself, I like to make sure I give myself the best chance I can of having a decent days birding.

Snipe, barn owl, gs pecker and plenty of golden plover, wigeon, teal, shoveler, gadwall etc. at Edderthorpe tonight in a quick visit but no little stints.

Why not just ignore the weather forecasts, which are more often than not wrong, and get out birding

... or stay at home with your feet up but on stand-by waiting for some other bugger to find the birds in 30mph winds ;)

Totally agree with you John, there's going to be birds turning up all weekend, they just need finding. See you at Spurn on sat?

When are you doing Ireland Steve? There's a right storm on Sunday/Monday, crosses the North Atlantic in under 24 hours, that'll surely drop something over there to compensate.

Not for a couple of weeks yet - hence the £10 ticket! I'm banking on it being like the last HC. If not I'll have a look round Cork.

It's a smash and grab so no real time for other stuff - land 10pm Saturday, and fly out again mid afternoon Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back