• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (1 Viewer)

Pied Flycatcher at Carsington singing in Hall Wood. Also a pair of Common Terns on Flat Island. Maybe just passing through or possibly the returning pair.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Today's S.Derbyshire highlights :-

Newton Solney - 1 m Yellow Wagtail (on spit in river)

Barrow GP - 1 Dunlin

Willington GP - Gropper, Lesser Whitethroat (showing ridiculously well), good numbers of the other common warblers (except Willow Warbler) and the probable Ruddy Shelduck x Shelduck hybrid is still present - quite a nice looking bird on what felt more like a late June kind of day rather than late April.

Happy holidays!

Matt

A Cuckoo down Wyver Lane today. Unfortunatley I didn't see it but it was heard calling several times from the viewing mound. This is only my second record of Cuckoo at Wyver following on from a juvenile near the hide 4 years ago. The last record was of one on June 16th last year.

Also today was the first Sedge Warbler, 2 Whitethroat, 2 Blackcap and 3 Chiff Chaff. 2 Collared Doves flew over the main pool. For such a common bird Collared Doves are exceptionally rare for Wyver and this is only my second record.

A male Redstart was still singing from the field behind the hide. Other sightings include 26 Greylags, 5 Grey Heron, 2 Shoveler, 2 Gadwall, 2 Mandarin, drake Goosander, 10 Lapwing, 2 Oycs, 2 Buzzards, Kestrel and 30+ Swallow. A Holly Blue Butterfly was seen in front of the hide.

The current Wyver Lane 2011 bird list stands at 99 species. Let's hope we get a goodie for the 100th!

A few recent photos. Grey Heron and Common Whitethroat taken at Wyver Lane. And Pink-Footed Geese and a juvenile Great Northern Diver taken at Carsington.

Attachments

• SNV35700.jpg
    SNV35700.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 31
  • SNV35737.jpg
    SNV35737.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 46
  • SNV35629.jpg
    SNV35629.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 29
  • SNV35708.jpg
    SNV35708.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 31
Quick run around a few local spots this morning. Up at dawn and to south end of Erewash Meadows hosted a Lesser Whitethroat, Barn Owl, 6 Sedge Warbler, several Whitethroat, Kestrel, pair Gadwall, Mallard with 11 chicks and about 10 lapwing. Also a Bat and Hare.

I picked up a couple of mates and we went to Wyver Lane, 2 Oystercatcher on top pool, on main pool 2 heron, 2 BH Gull, 2 Shoveler, Sedge Warbler, a few Whitethroat, wrens and also Male Redstart singing and looking very much on territory above public Bridleway behind main hide. Also in that woodland my mate thought he may have very briefly seen Pied Flycatcher, but only very briefly, and despite a thorough search we couldn't locate it and it wasn't singing. So probably just his imagination. Also GS Woodpecker and Nuthatch in wood.

A quick visit to Shiningcliffe Woods gave us Nuthatch, 2 Garden Warbler and Blackcap but lots of runners doing a fell run meant we didn't stay long.

Last edited:
Erewash Meadows

Hi All

Roland kindly emailed me these pics that his son took whilst down at Erewash Meadows last week.

1 LRP and the Sandpiper that may or may not have caused confusion depending upon which bird you saw! The clear cut border to the breast is quite evident here.

Attachments

• Sandpiper.jpg
    Sandpiper.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 59
  • P1090538.JPG
    P1090538.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 43
  • P1090485.JPG
    P1090485.JPG
    204.1 KB · Views: 55
hi there everybody

am i the first person on here in nearly 4 years to leave a message where as everyone gone it would be
nice to make friends on here in the birding community i do live in derbyshire and i am
a member of the derbyshire ornithlogical society please it would be nice to leave
messages or chat i hope to hear from somebody soon don,t make it another 4 years

coal tit.

hi there
sorry about that the link which connected me to this page was adressed july 2007
not quite sure how that works but here we are now anyway at last hello everybody

coal tit.

hi there
sorry about that the link which connected me to this page was adressed july 2007
not quite sure how that works but here we are now anyway at last hello everybody

coal tit.

That was the date the thread was started, you obviously went to the first page not the last. Hi and welcome to the thread.

hi there

coal tit.

Hi Coal Tit, think you need to use the page links at the top of the page. We're now on page 113 of the thread, plenty going on and look forward to hearing your sightings and news.

Chris

Hi all,

Today's S.Derbyshire highlights :-

Newton Solney - 1 m Yellow Wagtail (on spit in river)

Barrow GP - 1 Dunlin

Willington GP - Gropper, Lesser Whitethroat (showing ridiculously well), good numbers of the other common warblers (except Willow Warbler) and the probable Ruddy Shelduck x Shelduck hybrid is still present - quite a nice looking bird on what felt more like a late June kind of day rather than late April.

Happy holidays!

Matt

Hi Matt,

If it's not sensitive info, could you let me know where the Lesser Whitethroats were singing/showing at Willington GP the other day? I'm in the area (Stenson Rd) house-sitting for a few days, and will hopefully get to Willington for a couple of hours early Monday or Tuesday morning. Lesser Whitethroat is a total bogey bird for me!

Cheers

Hi Matt,

If it's not sensitive info, could you let me know where the Lesser Whitethroats were singing/showing at Willington GP the other day? I'm in the area (Stenson Rd) house-sitting for a few days, and will hopefully get to Willington for a couple of hours early Monday or Tuesday morning. Lesser Whitethroat is a total bogey bird for me!

Cheers

I am sure Matt will come back to you Nick but I find them good on the lane down from the parking area at the top - a small copse on the left a couple of hundred yards in usually has a territory.

Then also on the path that runs alongside the railway going down towards the bridge over the line that takes you to the canal. Plenty of cover and singing birds are usually here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back