• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

If you were a betting person.... (1 Viewer)

West End Birder

....one species that has eluded me (well one of many) which I suspect would be worse than a "tart's tick" of whatever the phrase is, is Barred Warbler. Although it is unlikely I can nip off to see one this Autumn, out of interest where and when would you place your money? (Mainland so not Fair Isle for example).

Thanks

Rob S

....one species that has eluded me (well one of many) which I suspect would be worse than a "tart's tick" of whatever the phrase is, is Barred Warbler. Although it is unlikely I can nip off to see one this Autumn, out of interest where and when would you place your money? (Mainland so not Fair Isle for example).

Thanks

Rob S

Spurn or the north Norfolk coast in Sept / Oct are good bets - I have seen 8 birds between Holme and Cromer

Thanks

Rob S

The best mainland site,by a long way,is Spurn.
Remember Norfolk is a county,not a site.:eek!:

Pete.

I'd quite like to go to Spurn before it disappears but for me it's a bloody long way (mind you N Norfolk is too). I might have to take a risk, at least there are plenty of pubs nearby!

Thanks for info. I did look at Fair Isle and they seem to obligatory in late September but just can't fit it in.

Rob

Anywhere on the east coast could have one, with the right weather conditions. Why not try to find your own to make ticking it off a bit more special?

The only thing I ever found on my own was a Firecrest (a couple of times actually) you are also assuming I would be able to ID it myself!! ;-)

That would be cool though I have to admit (and yes I know it is not exactly rare)

If Spurn and the North Norfolk Coast are to far for you where abouts are you in the country that way the best site that's closer to you could be suggested.

As advised the best single site in the UK is Spurn.

The latest publication of the Scarce Migrant Report (passerines 2004-07 in August's BB?) should help you pin-point both optimum locations and time period. Have seen Barred W in Cornwall and Scilly and very occasionally they turn up inland but East Coast is king. Why not make a weekend of it after a few days of easterly winds and pick up RB Fly, YB Warbler, RB Shrike etc as well?

I'm in Southampton. I have missed two or more on Scilly, I have an idea there was actually one in Hampshire recently but I think I was away. That BB report is very interesting. I might well take the plunge and go to N Norfolk haven't been there for so long, although I might be able to wangle a business trip to Sheffield which is not so far from Spurn I guess.

Thanks for the advice, if I go to Spurn or NN I shall let you know in case you can point me in the direction of one.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back