• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are American Robins behaving like Blackbirds? (1 Viewer)

Zheljko

I just saw the Grey Catbird pic in the identification forum and its body posture looks both blackbird-like and magpie-like, so I started thinking about how the birds not present in Europe actually behave (I mean their movements). Are American Robins exactly like Blackbirds, just of different color? They are closely related.

IAre American Robins exactly like Blackbirds, just of different color? They are closely related.

Pretty much in their overall behavior and ecology, or so I've always thought. The Blackbird is a better singer, but many of the calls--particularly the alarm rattles--are very similar

I was struck by how similar in shape, size and behaviour Canyon Wren was to Wallcreeper when I first saw one. There are only so many evolutionary solutions to specific ecological niches.

Chris

Are American Robins exactly like Blackbirds, just of different color?

While certainly there are many behavioral similarities, I've been told (Eurasian) Blackbirds are not as gregarious as Am. Robins. In winter and on migration in my area, Robins often gather in large foraging flocks. Have not been to Europe in winter though. I imagine there are other differences also; they are different species after all--not just color morphs.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
well, according to the taxonomy the Common Blackbird is also a 'true thrush'. I've never had the pleasure to observe in person the Common Blackbird, but judging by the pics they really do look very similar physically (shape, size, tail, etc.). The Amer. Robin has a very distinct foraging 'style'. The Robin sprints quickly for several feet, stops, stretches his/her neck, cocks the head to the ground, grabs a worm or misses, then repeats the sprinting and stopping over and over. It's actually very endearing/cute to watch...well, to me it is. I never get tired of it. Does the Blackbird forage in a somewhat similar manner ?

Last edited:
I've been told (Eurasian) Blackbirds are not as gregarious as Am. Robins. In winter and on migration in my area, Robins often gather in large foraging flocks. Have not been to Europe in winter though. I imagine there are other differences also; they are different species after all--not just color morphs.

Best,
Jim

Amer. Robins will also get quite close to humans when foraging. They're not too shy and very used to sharing a lawn with us.

I was struck by how similar in shape, size and behaviour Canyon Wren was to Wallcreeper when I first saw one. There are only so many evolutionary solutions to specific ecological niches.

Chris

Just want to clarify something for myself in regards to convergent evolution:

the Common Blackbird and American Robin similarities are not an example of convergent evolution since they are closely related (both thrushes)...correct?
But, Swifts and Swallows would be a good example of convergent evolution since they are not so closely related; they evolved similar traits independently. Do I have this right ?

You've got it completely right in both cases Beth. The behaviour of Turdus thrushes is roughly the same for all species and Am. Robin and Eur. Blackbird behave in 'exactly' the same way. There are slight differences in that Eur. Blackbirds is more aggressive to others of the same species throughout the year but, apart from that ..... Your example of Swifts and Swallows is a perfect example of convergent evolution as is the similarity between Old World Warblers and New World.

Chris

You've got it completely right in both cases Beth. The behaviour of Turdus thrushes is roughly the same for all species and Am. Robin and Eur. Blackbird behave in 'exactly' the same way. There are slight differences in that Eur. Blackbirds is more aggressive to others of the same species throughout the year but, apart from that ..... Your example of Swifts and Swallows is a perfect example of convergent evolution as is the similarity between Old World Warblers and New World.

Chris

awesome...thanks Chris. I have a bad memory in general and I'm feeling pretty good right now that I'm able to remember stuff from the home-study bird biology course I took a few years ago. I'll have to celebrate tomorrow with a mint chocolate chip ice cream cone :)

The Amer. Robin has a very distinct foraging 'style'. The Robin sprints quickly for several feet, stops, stretches his/her neck, cocks the head to the ground, grabs a worm or misses, then repeats the sprinting and stopping over and over. It's actually very endearing/cute to watch...well, to me it is. I never get tired of it. Does the Blackbird forage in a somewhat similar manner ?
I don't know as in earthworm season I have only observed Blackbirds in the forest, where they push aside rustling old leaves (or sit on tree branches singing loudly). I know of a site in the forest when several territories seemingly converge and you can see and hear several male Blackbirds without having to leave your seat/standing spot.

As for the large congregations of Blackbirds, Kosovo Polje (where the medieval and recent battles took place) means "field/plain of blackbirds" so I guess they might have formed large flocks in the area (although I will not dismiss the hypothesis that the plain was named for an irruptive flock of Rose-colored Starlings back before Linneaus).

The American-robin style of stalking earthworms is distinctive, and really only practical on mown lawns. We have other thrush species with overlapping ranges, but they tend to stick to the woods and concentrate on other prey.
Lots of other birds stalk lawns in a functionally similar way and often in close proximity to robins: sparrows that take short hops, grackles that walk along (I also saw a red-winged blackbird joining in this morning) are hoping to catch an exposed insect by surprise, but american robins have a distinct repertoire that seems especially well-adapted to hunting earthworms. The "ear-to-the-ground" pose in particular seems to be distinctive.

See pictures #8 through 12 here: http://davidalbeck.com/photos/2013/robins/

American Robin is the only widespread Turdus thrush in the United States, but I don't think its feeding behavior is particularly unique when compared to similar species further south. The West Indies, Central and South America have lots of open country Turdus thrushes that have very similar general feeding behavior -- it seems that every major Latin American city has its own version of the American Robin (Clay-colored Thrush, Great Thrush, Bare-eyed Thrush... just to name a few).

Carlos

I'm confused (nothing unusual about that). In this context, exactly which bird is meant by the term 'blackbird?'

Anyway, when found in the forest our robins are very thrush-like when compared to our other thrushes, and their main behavioural difference is they will leave wooded areas. I can't say that the other likely blackbird suspects are thrush-like at all.

Last edited:
I'm confused (nothing unusual about that). In this context, exactly which bird is meant by the term 'blackbird?'

Anyway, when found in the forest our robins are very thrush-like when compared to our other thrushes, and their main behavioural difference is they will leave wooded areas. I can't say that the other likely blackbird suspects are thrush-like at all.

The comparison is with the Eurasian Blackbird, a close relative of our robin. What are called blackbirds in North America belong to an unrelated family.

Ahh. You've struck on the difference between English and American. Blackbirds ( the original Eurasian ones ) are Turdus merula and very similar in habits to all the other members of Turdus - which the American Robin is a member of ( the original Robin is a Flycatcher, but not one of your Flycatchers, one ofthe originals ). The Johnny-come-lately's ;) in the New World are a completely different family that includes Caciques, Oropendolas and what you call Orioles. It comes from the time when the people naming the birds weren't ornithologists so little stripey brown jobs became Sparrows, small stuff in forests and woodland became Warblers and black birds became ......... Blackbirds. Easy :t:

Chris

Last edited:
The American-robin style of stalking earthworms is distinctive, and really only practical on mown lawns. We have other thrush species with overlapping ranges, but they tend to stick to the woods and concentrate on other prey.
Lots of other birds stalk lawns in a functionally similar way and often in close proximity to robins: sparrows that take short hops, grackles that walk along (I also saw a red-winged blackbird joining in this morning) are hoping to catch an exposed insect by surprise, but american robins have a distinct repertoire that seems especially well-adapted to hunting earthworms. The "ear-to-the-ground" pose in particular seems to be distinctive.
Here in the Old World, the Song Thrush feeds in this way, probably more than our Blackbird.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back