• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reporting Category E Species (1 Viewer)

auchinbowie

Do other members consider the reporting of category E species to be appropriate on the rarity reports? I pose this question because Red-breasted Geese are regularly reported from Abberton Reservoir. These birds are long term residents, associate with the Canada and Greylag Geese and have been assigned to Category E since 2009, possibly earlier. They are not truly wild birds. A couple of birds did arrive with the Brents in 2010/11. These have been accepted as wild. I feel that reporting the resident escapes on birdline could cause confusion, especially to new birders from outside Essex.

Also where do you draw the line? There are dozens of Category E records in Essex alone each year. Across the UK there must be many hundreds. You can, for example, see a Swan Goose at Abberton, on occasion next to the Red-breasted Geese.

My own view is that category D records should be reported but known Category E records should be filtered out wherever possible. Your opinions?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back