• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (1 Viewer)

A garden, and Département mega! Battling into the teeth of a north-easterly with snow at lunchtime today:

60 Short-eared Owl B :)

One year and 3 weeks after last year's bird (which was a garden life tick),no time to grab the camera this time, so I have to do the full Rarities Description Form :C, to give you an idea, it's the only record for the Département (like a county in UK, or state in USA) this year so far (there were only three in the whole of 2015).
The weather is bonkers at the moment, on Wednesday I was by the Rhône just 50 minutes' drive away watching Cuckoo, Willow Warbler, Wryneck, Pied Flycatcher, Spotted Crake, Penduline Tit and hirundines galore, getting sunburnt, and today it's 1°C and snowing up here. No wonder the owl was in such a hurry!

A garden, and Département mega! Battling into the teeth of a north-easterly with snow at lunchtime today:

60 Short-eared Owl

Nice one ...not very common in Lithuania, but I always quite fancy one of these on my plot.

Meanwhile, two more for my year - first pair of Goldeneye back on territory and, hot on the heels of the returning House Sparrows a few days back, so too Tree Sparrows today.

74. Goldeneye
75. Tree Sparrow

Sharp frost overnight, but despite the temperature being barely positive, the first

61 Barn Swallow
flying around , twittering merrily in the sunshine.
Then 2 hours later my first-ever spring record for the garden of
62 House Martin
speeding north-east!

Last edited:
Nice one! I heard the first singing Redstart this morning but I still haven't seen it yet, surely one of our smartest-looking European passerines.

Arrived home in the early hours after a weeks absence.....released the blind, and it had the good grace to wait until my eyes focused.....a lone flyover Greylag! no.56.

47) A Blackcap has been singing for a couple of days, saw it briefly this morning.

48) Magpie, must be a record to get to April 10th before seeing one. Five came at once today.

I saw some Swallows 300 yards down the road on Friday but none from the garden yet.

Some very nice additions above!
I had Redstart last year - as you say, Nutcracker, a real garden mega.
Out & about yesterday the first Willow Warbler - so despite the cold the migrants continue.

Nice warm spring weather yesterday and few beautiful goodies at the feeder (that's what the little food is left - I have not added a seeds of a couple of weeks):
#26. Siskin
#27. Goldfinch
And few hours a later on the roofs antenna:
#28. White Wagtail

Another warm day here too, opened the window while eating my breakfast to hear my earliest-ever

63 Cuckoo

beating the previous earliest (last year and 2013) by 4 days - global warming or what!

... global warming or what!

Global except Lithuania :) After a nice spell at the month's beginning, it's been decidedly cool since,and temperatures set to fall by the week's end to zero. No new birds today for me, and I will be away for a week now ...so keep up the good work Richard, you could zip past me again!

Last edited:
More snow this weekend, and temps back down to -13C yesterday, keeping fingers crossed that the recent influx of Spring birds can find enough bugs to eat.

Spent this morning keeping a watchful eye on one of our local Barred Owls, who has been sat watching the feeder much of today. This meant I was in prime position to see a lovely Mourning Dove (No. 31), who arrived and cooed pleasantly. Very common locally, but not so common in my garden. Turned up for the morning of April 13th last year, so regular!

A small fall this morning during persistent rain - Swallows flying through and:-

33 - Chiffchaff (at least four)

When in the car though the bins, I then thought I'd picked up a Pied Fly distantly in the trees alongside the garden. A hasty scramble and 10 mins in the rain failed to confirm it so alas I headed into work. :-C

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back