• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Derbyshire County Birding (4 Viewers)

Had a message saying it was claimed at Sawley rather than Church Wilne or indeed Wilne Res.........but anyway, Prat sp are especially difficult to get accepted in flight views, that is if anyone sends it in?

Hi all,

Another very productive little half hour at Newton Solney today (with the various shingle surviving the rain lashing of the last 24 hrs) with 2 Green Sand, 1 Little Egret, 6 Goosanders and 1 Greenshank. Funnily enough I had one of the latter species here just one day earlier in the year last year.

Best Wishes,

Matt

Had a message saying it was claimed at Sawley rather than Church Wilne or indeed Wilne Res.........but anyway, Prat sp are especially difficult to get accepted in flight views, that is if anyone sends it in?

The Birdguides message I got said seen flying over Sawley towards the reservoir. Maybe it was someone who lives in Sawley......

Steve

Garden birding still in full swing - had a Willow Warbler (fresh juv) last week and the Greater Peckers are keeping us entertained. The adults have brought two juvs that now compete with the Nuthatch for the suet pellets - well worth a try if you have some wire mesh and Peckers nearby.

Attachments

• Woodie.JPG
    Woodie.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Juv Greater Pecker (Medium).JPG
    Juv Greater Pecker (Medium).JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 54
The water levels are dropping fast at Carsington and despite what is normally a quiet time of the year Waders have already been passing through. I didn't post last week but on the Wednesday I had 5 Greenshank late on at Sheepwash. There has also been quite a few Dunlin, Blackwits, LRP's, the odd Ringed Plover, and a record number of Common Sandpipers today.

I met up with Clive this morning and we had 6 at the Wildlife Centre. The WEBS count was being done and they had had 5 down at Sheepwash. A little later I had 14 together at Sheepwash and another 4 at least at the Wildlife Centre making that 18 birds for the mathematically challenged. I believe the previous record was 17 in July 1993.

Also 7 Dunlin today, 6+ LRP's and a Redshank. Mark P had another 4 Redshank on Stones this evening. Had a couple of hours at Middleton Moor and had 2 Shelduck, 2 Peregrine, LRP, 3 Yellow-legged Gulls and c90 Lessers.

I just hope Carsi isn't peaking too early because the next 2 to 3 months could be as good as last year if not better.

The water levels are dropping fast at Carsington and despite what is normally a quiet time of the year Waders have already been passing through. I didn't post last week but on the Wednesday I had 5 Greenshank late on at Sheepwash. There has also been quite a few Dunlin, Blackwits, LRP's, the odd Ringed Plover, and a record number of Common Sandpipers today.

I met up with Clive this morning and we had 6 at the Wildlife Centre. The WEBS count was being done and they had had 5 down at Sheepwash. A little later I had 14 together at Sheepwash and another 4 at least at the Wildlife Centre making that 18 birds for the mathematically challenged. I believe the previous record was 17 in July 1993.

Also 7 Dunlin today, 6+ LRP's and a Redshank. Mark P had another 4 Redshank on Stones this evening. Had a couple of hours at Middleton Moor and had 2 Shelduck, 2 Peregrine, LRP, 3 Yellow-legged Gulls and c90 Lessers.

I just hope Carsi isn't peaking too early because the next 2 to 3 months could be as good as last year if not better.

The "res" is looking spot on for return passage, with loads of shoreline exposed. We also had an Oystercatcher, probably a passage bird, and c 50 Tree Sparrows at the Wildlife Centre.

Hello Matt,

I'm new to the forum. Just a note to say that I walk the Trent near Newton Solney quite often. I also saw 6 Goosanders yesterday and a Little Egret a few days ago. Always nice to watch the Common Terns along this stretch of the Trent as well.

Regards
Clive

An interesting bird at Carsington yesterday, in the form of a juvenile Med Gull.
Richard (who else?) picked out the bird asleep on Horseshoe Island, amongst BHG's. Later we were able to rule out Common Gull, when we had better views of the legs, bill etc,
Also present a Sanderling, 6 Dunlin, several LRPs and Common Sands.
A Peregrine flushed the gulls on a couple of occasions.

Strange day today, Carsington was quiet apart from a Reed Warbler and a Sedge Warbler near to the Wildlife Centre,2 Dunlin, 3 LRP,4 Common Sand, a Common Tern and 4 Pochard.

So off to the moors, where we had little of note, except a pair of Whinchat and a possible Peregrine, along with lots of Kestrels.

On the way back we called at a quarry, where we had several juv Redstarts, Peregrine, Raven, Little Owl,Buzzard, Kestrel and Stock Dove.

Back at Carsington , we went on a walk to the Hopton end where we picked up a a Spotted Flycatcher, several Treecreepers,a few Siskin and a family of Reed Warblers.

Hello Matt,

I'm new to the forum. Just a note to say that I walk the Trent near Newton Solney quite often. I also saw 6 Goosanders yesterday and a Little Egret a few days ago. Always nice to watch the Common Terns along this stretch of the Trent as well.

Regards
Clive

Hi Clive,

There was a very young Common Tern fishing there today (almost certainly bred at Willington GP), tho at the moment the shingle in the direction of Willington has all gone and the shingle on the confluence is much reduced - it clearly takes time for rainfall elsewhere to filter down seeing as tho the local weather hasn't been too rainy this week.

It is a great habitat for waders tho, and if you walk it in winter the hundreds of geese & wigeon are always worth a scan for something rarer. I also had an otter this time last year there, so definitely a site with 12 months worth of interest.

Best Wishes,

Matt

Hi Clive,

There was a very young Common Tern fishing there today (almost certainly bred at Willington GP), tho at the moment the shingle in the direction of Willington has all gone and the shingle on the confluence is much reduced - it clearly takes time for rainfall elsewhere to filter down seeing as tho the local weather hasn't been too rainy this week.

It is a great habitat for waders tho, and if you walk it in winter the hundreds of geese & wigeon are always worth a scan for something rarer. I also had an otter this time last year there, so definitely a site with 12 months worth of interest.

Best Wishes,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Unfortunately no Terns bred at Willington DWT this year. Foxes now take any eggs that are laid - including Oystercatchers and Black headed Gulls - swimming out to the islands. There are some juvvy Terns at Willington presently but these have possibly come from Hilton or maybe even the new workings.

The d*gs b*ll*cks of Osprey towers was erected on Tuesday evening on the far side of the reserve. Complete waste of money and effort - there are certainly hundreds of conservation projects that are far more important than this. Think the local anglers will start playing up in the unlikely event that a pair of Osprey are too lazy to carry on north.

John

Hi Matt,

Unfortunately no Terns bred at Willington DWT this year. Foxes now take any eggs that are laid - including Oystercatchers and Black headed Gulls - swimming out to the islands. There are some juvvy Terns at Willington presently but these have possibly come from Hilton or maybe even the new workings.

The d*gs b*ll*cks of Osprey towers was erected on Tuesday evening on the far side of the reserve. Complete waste of money and effort - there are certainly hundreds of conservation projects that are far more important than this. Think the local anglers will start playing up in the unlikely event that a pair of Osprey are too lazy to carry on north.

John

Hi John,

Interesting - I saw big numbers (well into double figures) of Common Tern at Hilton earlier in the summer so I'm sure you're right. Coincidentally, a pair had 3 young chicks at one of the rafts at St Chad's Water earlier today.

I'm not convinced about the Osprey tower myself - I guess it's the conservation world's equivalent of a "marquee signing". Despite this site's size and positioning, I wasn't aware Willington GP got loads of Ospreys on passage anyway, certainly not more than the big reservoirs either in the S or middle of the county.

5 Little Egret at Long Eaton GP today (with an Attenborough birder saying there's been 34 roosting there recently).

Best Wishes,

Matt

I don't suppose anyone knows whereabouts at Locko Park the Spotted Flycatcher are or where there are some as I have tried all the local sites without success.

Thanks, Sam

Hi Sam,

I had Spotted Fly at Locko today, in the small belt of woodland at the top of the hill which one of the public footpaths leads straight up to. Classic case of nothing seems to be moving or singing but if you give it a bit of time and let the birds come to you you'll see some good passerines. Failing that, any of the tree lined avenues as you first come in or which flank the roads are worth a look as well.

Pleasing to see 2 successful broods of GC Grebe on the lake, especially as, despite the well-to-do nature of this site, this species in particular has often fallen prey to the air rifle wielding 'intelligentsia' here. 95 Greylag here also - although this site has always been a stronghold for it, has any other species seen its numbers rocket as much as this bird in recent years in the county I wonder? (Oystercatcher maybe?)

Best Wishes,

Matt

Hi Matt - Wyver has increasing Greylag numbers too (Dave will have the figures) and they are outdoing Canadas at several local sites. When I pay a late visit to Wyver (its surprising what drops in just before dark) Greylags arrive in force.

Re Ospreys - The DWT issued a doc on plans for the platforms along Trent valley a while ago. If I can find the email I had I will post on here. The thinking is that they need assistance with branching out from the Rutland stronghold and the trent Valley was identified as playing a major role. There are various sites downstream that are having them also. I havent seen the Willington one so cannot comment on its appearance etc, but I understand they need to be substantial structures to be of use. I believe the Ogston one is in need of attention already.

I do think Carsi and Oggie are more likely to have a pair "stick" than some of the other areas used, and agree with John that angling conflict will raise its head no doubt. In fact it was only a couple of years ago that we stumbled across a dead Osprey within Willington boundaries (cause of death unknown).

So do we think its pointless assisting them, or should we embrace their success and hope to encourage them into central Derbyshire?

Yes Greylag numbers have been steadily increasing at Wyver for some time now. It's not uncommon to get counts of between 70-90 and several counts of 100+ plus have been recorded. The record count stands at 163 in October last year.

Anyone any more info on possible White tailed Eagle at Castleton?

Unconfirmed report of one west of Bradwell and flew towards Castleton, I am just hearing.

White Tailed Eagle flying not at great height towards Castleton area away from Hope/Bradwell. Looked like a mature bird certainly not a juvenile bird. Having watched these birds in the North West Highlands for 12 plus years I was amazed to see this bird over this part of the country. I nearly crashed the car as it flew overhead! Once seen never mistaken for anything else. I note that a similar bird was seen in Lincolnshire at the end of June. Hope someone else sees it, was heading Westerly direction.

P.S it was seen at 14.50pm.

PPS To save confusion it wasn't me that saw the bird. I've just lifted that from another site.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back