• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Never mind buying a bin, or loads... (1 Viewer)

Of course, the 7x18 and 8x22 could have the same eyepiece.
The lower power would give the 7x18 a slight improvement in field edge quality.

Carson (in the past 8 yrs) has done really well with QC from China,
and China has been putting out some interesting eyepieces.
I salvaged some really fun 8mm RKE (Konig with a top curve) EPs from a busted pair of
Celestron 12x25s. The prisms and objective brought the view down a bit,
but the EPs are great in a telescope.

Yes looking at them it seems the eyepieces are identical although it's not easily seen in the photos but the 8x22 eyepieces are more offset from the focuser. The wider 7x18 view has more distortion than the 8x22.

Even though the 8x22 is still small and light it does seem a lot larger than the 7x18 but still a bit more compact than the Visionary.

I don't think the Visionary have just enough IPD for me. I think they need just 1mm more so I looked at possibly filing a bit off the body at the hinge to see if I could fix that but in the end I just prised them open a bit harder and it might have helped some. No problem with IPD in the Carsons.

Did notice my Vistron 8x25 and Bresser 8x28 have some better low light performance and do look a very flat view compared to the reverse porros but in some ways the strange distortion perhaps adds something to the 7x18.

Snow today so won't get out for a while with them and from the house could not pick a favourite. I'm happy with them both in my collection and I even sort of find the Visionary pretty good for a house bin but it just falls short of a bin that I would really want to take anywhere unless I wasn't really bothered about getting much sharpness. I also noticed that the 7x18 Carson seems to have a little more brightness/contrast to the view over the 8x22 and this is maybe down to the magnification?

Was looking at maybe the LaScala 7x18 but it's almost twice the price of the Carson and seems to be the same bin in a slightly different body. Might just buy another Carson 7x18 as a spare but it would be nice if they fixed the focus length problem and if it was as well assembled as this 8x22, actually both the 8x22's (tight hinges, smooth focusing and diopter stays put). I still think this 7x18 is a brilliant format. I just never new you could get a bin so small but that ccould deliver such amazing viewing and I'm sure it could still be made even better and that is the bin I really want but I'm certainly fine with these Carson for now as they are already very good. Maybe when they start selling loads of them then others will join the competition and some-one will introduce a more premium pair?

Definitely nice light compact and useful bins and basically something anyone can afford and not be missing out on good quality optics.

Last edited:
How then when you have a double digit bin selection of options do you decide which to take along?..............

I have never found this a problem.

All binoculars are compromises
with positive and negative issues;
so I try to pick the best for the job,
usually with a backup.

Like you, the newest one gets the most use-for a while.
I try to rotate the older ones, changing when I get bored.

If this problem does happen, probably means I have too many.

edj

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back