• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Still finding 8x30/32 options (1 Viewer)

drcam

I am still trying to find options for 8x30-32 binoculars.

A few weeks ago I got a bargain price on the Vortex Viper 8x30-32, but although it is very good on axis, the sweet spot is too small, the image really degrades at the edge, and the field of view is too narrow for my liking.

I am still looking at the Kite Lynx 8x30 as it is lighter, has a better field of view, and is reasonably priced.

Recently a Leica Trinovid 8x32 BN came up on the used market here in Australia but the asking price is about $US680. I'm wondering whether this is a good price, reports mention the Trinovid does have a 67 degree AFOV but no ED glass. That being said, what do you think is a better purchase?

Hi,

if you can live with a non-waterproof model and old-school looks, you might want to have a look at the E2 in 8x30... widest field in modern 8x30 and while not sharp to the very edge, the sweet spot is huge.

Joachim

Have you found a Nikon Monarch 7 8x30 to try? I have one and am very pleased with it. I've used it as my car binocular since fall. It has a FOV of 430'@1000yards and a large sweet spot. It has ER of 15.5mm and it has large, wide oculars and eye cups. Some people prefer the Kite Lynx which seems to have some similarities to it. I have not had the opportunity to use a Kite Lynx.

Joachim recommends the superb Nikon 8x30 E2 Porro prism. I have had one for about 14 years and it looks it but it never failed me. If you get a chance to try one by all means do so!

The Leica 8x32 Trinovid has nearly reached cult classic status even though it does not have ED glass. I have never tried one but did try to get one to match my Leica 7x42 Trinovid BN without success. I never had an opportunity to try one and with its 13.8 ER I wanted to do that before I bought one. $680.00 seems like a lot of money to me. I would still have to try one out before I bought one.

Bob

Last edited:
I tried my Sightron Blue Sky ll against the M7, and vastly preferred the Sightrons in all aspects. The only are the M7 won was it's smaller size. Except I don't like tiny bins, and I hate short eye relief.

If it is "smaller" and "lighter" being the priority, and not an "at first light/last light only binocular", I'd add the Swaro CL pocket 8x25 to the list of ones to check out. It's not an 8x30/32 format but is the next step down in size and maintains nice optics.

CG

I recently bought a Monarch 7 8x30 as I wanted a very compact bin, I think I`m going to like them, not EII optics but very good for the money.

I recently acquired a Kite Lynx in 8x30, and I'm quite impressed. It is delightfully small and compact, bright, and with a quite wide field of view. It had much better color fidelity than my old Vanguard Endeavor ED 8x42, and the chromatic aberration is better controlled as well. I would really like to see Leica introduce a Trinovid HD in 8x32.

As stated above, the Nikon E11 is a super 8x30 porro, and the Leica Trinovid 8x32BN is a very good roof as well. The BN has slightly improved coatings to the almost identical BA. I have both the E11 and BN, if pushed, I slightly prefer the optics of the Leica BN, it has slightly warmer tones, which I prefer, and gives excellent detail, despite it's age. ED glass does not do much for me, so it's still a competetive binocular in my eyes. But the E11 is a little bit brighter, lighter and has an astonishing FOV for an 8x30. For a BN, $680 is about £490 sterling, that would be about right if in near perfect condition. I paid £520 for mine about 2 years back, mint condition, all accessories and paperwork, boxed. A mint used E11 can be picked up for between £200 to £250 here, and a new one for not very much more. Remember the image in a porro will be slightly different to a roof, more 3D, less flat, what you think of that depends if you have any personal preference about these minor things , or even care, I don't , I like both for what they are. Both are good purchases at their respective price points, but the Leica BN's higher price has lot to do with it being a classic collectable.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back