• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I.D. thoughts please. (1 Viewer)

pie

Hi All,
I have just returned from a non-birding trip to Tunisia & was delighted to see more birds than expected in a Hotel resort. Unfortunately, I didn't have my Nikon or bins with me, & one small bird with a flash of blue under wing often flew over the pool.
The only camera I had was my old pocket sized digi, & found it almost impossible to see anything in the viewfinder.

I did manage to capture a couple of Birds at dusk.
Firstly I wanted to share these comical ?Warblers. Talk about naughty children! lol! This pair were play fighting on the ground, and would lie still to catch their breath before continuing their duel. This went on for approx 10mins, with mum often reprimanding them from a nearby tree.

Later I walked past the tennis court & saw what looked like a Spotted Flycatcher. What do you think?

The last Bird was an absolute delight.
According to my UK book, it looks like a Sardinian Warbler.

Any id thoughts would be appreciated
Many thanks

Attachments

• P1010819.JPG
    P1010819.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 38
  • P1010822-copy.JPG
    P1010822-copy.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 41
  • P1010798.JPG
    P1010798.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 32
  • P1010807.JPG
    P1010807.JPG
    109.4 KB · Views: 33
Hi Pie, the bird at the tennis court does look like a spotted fly (I'm sure someone can correct me if it aint) and the other does seem to be a sardinian warbler. Hope it was a nice hol for you and glad there were some interesting birds on show.
Chris.

Isn't that Sardinian Warbler a real cutie, Sue? Rather along the lines of the Dartford one in this country.

What naughty young Warblers you saw! I've never seen anything like that last for that length of time. My starlings mess around, but it's over and done with in seconds!

Hi pie,
That'll teach you to take them bins & camera everywhere with you!! ;)
Sounds like you had a good holiday though Sue, and some great birds too! Can't help at all with id, sorry, but I enjoyed seeing the photos anyway.

Hi All,
I have just returned from a non-birding trip to Tunisia & was delighted to see more birds than expected in a Hotel resort. Unfortunately, I didn't have my Nikon or bins with me, & one small bird with a flash of blue under wing often flew over the pool.
The only camera I had was my old pocket sized digi, & found it almost impossible to see anything in the viewfinder.

I did manage to capture a couple of Birds at dusk.
Firstly I wanted to share these comical ?Warblers. Talk about naughty children! lol! This pair were play fighting on the ground, and would lie still to catch their breath before continuing their duel. This went on for approx 10mins, with mum often reprimanding them from a nearby tree.

Later I walked past the tennis court & saw what looked like a Spotted Flycatcher. What do you think?

The last Bird was an absolute delight.
According to my UK book, it looks like a Sardinian Warbler.

Any id thoughts would be appreciated
Many thanks

Hi Pie,
Glad you managed to find some birds on your non-birdy holiday. I am sure you have the spotted fly and Sardinian Warbler IDs correct. I do not know what the bird in your first two photos are, but they look kind of reed/marsh warbler-like. Whilst I do not believe them to be either (they somehow look toO robust) I would guess them to be of the Acrocephalus genus. I hope this does not prove to be too far from the mark!

Hi Pie,

I hope you had a wonderful time. You certainly did well to get such good shots with the camera you had. Can't help but agree about the Spot Fly and Sardinian Warbler. I'd also agree with Chris that the squabblers look very much like either Reed or Marsh Warblers ........a shame you didn't break it all up and ask them to sing - you'd have known for certain which they were then alright! Beautiful shots of them!

Sue.

Nice to see the pics Pie. The first two obviously think they are wrestlers rather than warblers. That delicate warbling stuff is not for them. They must breed 'em tough in Tunisia. The spotted fly is the only one that looks familiar to me. The last one looks a beauty. Hope you enjoyed your holiday.

Hi Pie,

It's all been said about the idents, can't add to that. Never heard of Warblers 'playing' at fighting, but a first time for everything they tell me.

Glad that you enjoyed your Holiday, now you know in future, there is no such thing as a 'non-birding trip', ALWAYS take your optics!

Bill

Hi everyone,
Thank you for helping with the id's,

Chris L, Yes, it was a treat to get some interesting birds, thanks for confirming the Spotted Flycatcher, that saves me from eating my hat! (a promise I made to myself!) lol!

Wendy, you're right, he does remind me of a Dartford. At first I thought I spotted a Blackcap in the distance, as I got closer I realised it was something very different.

Judo, It was a lovely place, but I must admit, Ive always struggled a bit with the pool type holiday. I'm far to nosey to lie in the sun. I'd rather be in my wellies looking at Birds. I did plenty of people watching tho! lol! :eek!:

Chris 3871, I googled your suggestion as the term acrocephalus genus is unfamiliar to me. I see your point & it might be worth putting them on the id thread for confirmation. Interesting, thank you for that.

Sue, I don't know about breaking up the fight, more like resuscitating them!!
I honestly thought at one point they were dead, they literally lay still for about a minute between each bout! Hilarious!

Ruth, Yes he is handsome, and such a great poser, can you imagine what beautiful images I would have had with my Nikon? Why cant UK Warblers pose like that? lol!

Roy, Haha! you're right! They must breed them tough out there. I guess by the time they finish squabbling, its too hot to bother warbling!

Bill, OMG! Tell me about it. lol! I will never ever leave home without them again. What I found curious was not a single person took any notice of the small bird with the blue under wing markings that flashed across the pool every so often. Are we (Birdwatchers) that alien? |8.|
I think so. lol!

Thank you all for your contributions. :t:

Hi everyone,
Thank you for helping with the id's,

Chris L, Yes, it was a treat to get some interesting birds, thanks for confirming the Spotted Flycatcher, that saves me from eating my hat! (a promise I made to myself!) lol!

Wendy, you're right, he does remind me of a Dartford. At first I thought I spotted a Blackcap in the distance, as I got closer I realised it was something very different.

Judo, It was a lovely place, but I must admit, Ive always struggled a bit with the pool type holiday. I'm far to nosey to lie in the sun. I'd rather be in my wellies looking at Birds. I did plenty of people watching tho! lol! :eek!:

Chris 3871, I googled your suggestion as the term acrocephalus genus is unfamiliar to me. I see your point & it might be worth putting them on the id thread for confirmation. Interesting, thank you for that.

Sue, I don't know about breaking up the fight, more like resuscitating them!!
I honestly thought at one point they were dead, they literally lay still for about a minute between each bout! Hilarious!

Ruth, Yes he is handsome, and such a great poser, can you imagine what beautiful images I would have had with my Nikon? Why cant UK Warblers pose like that? lol!

Roy, Haha! you're right! They must breed them tough out there. I guess by the time they finish squabbling, its too hot to bother warbling!

Bill, OMG! Tell me about it. lol! I will never ever leave home without them again. What I found curious was not a single person took any notice of the small bird with the blue under wing markings that flashed across the pool every so often. Are we (Birdwatchers) that alien? |8.|
I think so. lol!

Thank you all for your contributions. :t:

Hi Pie,

I think that someone will definitely be able to help on the main ID thread, please let us know of the final verdict. I would've had to google the genus name too! I tried to save you the bother by making a link in my post to this wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_Warbler
but it didn't work!:-O

Good luck with the ID,

Hiya Chris & All,
According to Dantheman, my fighters are Olivaceous Warblers!
I'm chuffed to bits with them. Mind you, I keep reminding myself that these are not UK sightings, & I must calm down! o:D
Thanks again all.

You bet Ruth! They are well & truly ticked! o:D

btw, there have been several more facinating postings in the id thread, plus good wishes sent to exbeeb members! :t:

I've been and had a look at your thread over there. Olivaceous warbler is not something I would have thought of, and is a bird I know very little (i.e nothing!) about. Needless to say, I was off the mark, as they are not that closely related to Reed warblers (though in my defense they look quite similar).

Anyway, I think it's safe to say, Case Closed! Well done on your find!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back