• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ISO Priority Mode (1 Viewer)

Jkarpin2

Hi,

Something to share.
I'm testing out an idea I have on how the below option might help out beginners, like myself, to take better photos with the Canon SX50.
Currently testing this out under the Tv mode but it also applies to the Av setting.
In Tv, I set the shutter speed on a high value, say 1250. Then I set the ISO to a best image quality setting, say 80 or 100, etc.
When I press the shutter half way down, the camera will adjust the shutter speed down and the aperture as needed, leaving the ISO setting alone. The end result is getting a image with a better ISO quality, and a faster shutter speed, that addresses issues like camera shake and a subject moving. Needs more testing but it could also be used as an alternative to Sports mode, which uses a shutter speed of 1250 a lot, but also raises the ISO to values 800 or higher, hurting the image quality. Here's that option for you to check out for yourselves:

Safety Shift, On.

This means to avoid exposure problems in AV or TV, the camera will automatically adjust the shutter speed or aperture value, even when standard exposure cannot otherwise be obtained.
Press the Menu button and set [Safety Shift] on the tab to [On]

If you try it out as well, let me know whether it works or doesn't work for you.

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back