• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any ideas? - Irvine Coast, Ayrshire, Scotland (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
enlarging images does nothing to help, I can't find anything in my field guide with a sky blue halo on a green and purple bird that has random white patches including a dribble of white going all down its neck.

I wasn't saying it was one ... just it looks more like one now than it did in the original pic ...

IF this is a BTD, you are seeing the white front of the neck bordered by the black of the hind neck (On both sides- is that correct?). Looks to have a distinctly peaked forecrown. Coupled with a white patch at the rear where you'd see one on a BTD (it's merging with the sea though), and a truncated rear end, I now find it easy-ish to see a BTD and harder to see a Cormorant.

But you can't take the beautiful colours too seriously, the bird even has red patches on its back in the new pic, and I wouldn't really like to say it is one (it is a bird though, IMO).

;)

I see the wavery pale line running down the neck as starting from the side of the head and being reflected light because the bird has glossy plumage. It appeared bluish-green and glossy in the first image before any blowing up.

I don't think you can trust any of the colours. If you look at the sea in the first image, it is made up of greens and purples. Which is probably another good reason why we shouldn't be prolonging this after the initial first 5 posts or so ... ;)

Good point.

Just the basics is a dark bird with a square pale bit on the cheek and a fairly pale bill.

BUT... All this nonsense is fun, isn't it? Certainly served to cheer me up no end! :)

Good point.

Just the basics is a dark bird with a square pale bit on the cheek and a fairly pale bill.

BUT... All this nonsense is fun, isn't it? Certainly served to cheer me up no end! :)

You meant 'a dark bird with a white thoat', surely?! ;)

This id nonsense is deadly serious stuff :-O

enlarging images does nothing to help, I can't find anything in my field guide with a sky blue halo on a green and purple bird that has random white patches including a dribble of white going all down its neck.

LOL! ;)

Somehow I don't think this thread can ever be serious again! :cat:

Too many rascally rascals have got to it! ;)

Gropperwinch is a brilliant username! Thanks about the blog Liam. I became confused and I think I broke it! :-C

Well I did try and turn it into a BTD when I was being serious! But the Cormorant Posse warned me off and I got real scared. :eek!:

From what Cactus Dave said, he was sure he had seen a Diver spp, that it wasn't a Cormorant, and he described white flashes on the flanks. Dave sounds trustworthy and a nice bloke. So if he's sure it was a diver, that can only leave BTD. Based on his testimony, and completely disregarding the photo.
I mean, if you just had Dave's words by way of description? What would you surmise???

GropperWinch's last lifer was a BTD. So I think he knows more than all of us! ;)

There you go! Half serious, half muckin' about!

A balanced post if ever I saw one! :t:

PS GW said the funniest thing I've seen all year on BF.

"Now, everyone say something serious, and afterwards roll on a ton more crap to make it to page four!"

Had to change trousers after that!

BTW I'm the Level Boss of this thread! No Cormorant wannabees are gonna get past me and win the game!
See you on PAGE 4!

Love from BIG PHIL of da BTD Posse xxxx :king:

:D

This just gets better and better!

So, Dan, how long have you been hallucinating white throats on Cormorants?
;)

Cormorant Maffia in da howse! :cool:

Looks like Dan has gone to bed Cormorant Boy!

On your own now!

What we gonna do? Start throwing fish at each other? ;)

Oh no, not the puns, please anything but the puns......

Anything? - I'd settle for your agreement that the bird in question could be a BTD (definitely not a BLT ;)). Oops did it again-ish.

It has pro-Cormorant features, and pro-BT-Diver features to my eye (and there's the description, as Phil keeps babering on about ( ;) )), but it's only a single photo, of a bird which was actively diving (?), and we all know single photos can catch birds looking decidely odd. And unidentifiable. Plus it isn't of the highest quality it could have been ...

Maybe it's best just to leave it as a UFO - Unidentified Floating Object.

On the other hand, maybe we now know where Mr Sock President went ...

LOL! ;)

Gropperwinch is a brilliant username! Thanks about the blog Liam. I became confused and I think I broke it! :-C

Well I did try and turn it into a BTD when I was being serious! But the Cormorant Posse warned me off and I got real scared. :eek!:

From what Cactus Dave said, he was sure he had seen a Diver spp, that it wasn't a Cormorant, and he described white flashes on the flanks. Dave sounds trustworthy and a nice bloke. So if he's sure it was a diver, that can only leave BTD. Based on his testimony, and completely disregarding the photo.
I mean, if you just had Dave's words by way of description? What would you surmise???

GropperWinch's last lifer was a BTD. So I think he knows more than all of us! ;)

"Now, everyone say something serious, and afterwards roll on a ton more crap to make it to page four!"

Phil,

I see you were serious when you said you were clinicaly insane:smoke:

If it was Autumn I'd say you've been scoffing magic shrooms;)

Cheers, Neil.

ps, Maybe the nice weather & spring migrants are having a good feel effect on us.

(But just to help it along to page 4 ... )

I think you made a right hash of unexplaining that.

And you aren't really Malcolm in the Middle are you, by any chance?

;)

Of Course not, I'm ade emdninson from the young ones (and I probably mispelt his name)

LOL! ;)

Phil, my lifer BTD was in January, and I saw another on in February. I've seen two in my entire life, and someone on here had almost certainly seen a BTD since February, so I doubt I'm your world expert! However, maybe by mid-may I'll be well acquainted with them along the channel coast, I can dream!
and If anyone is wondering what the hell my username is about, its a mixture of the south coast names for Grasshopper Warber and Whinchat

Will everyone stop re-quoting my massively verbose "babering on" essay about nothing. Because it's already pushing us rapidly to page 5! And we'll all be Munsoned if that happens! Who is the Sock President btw, or should that be blt, or,indeed, BTD!? Congrats to Nick for finding the way to page 4. That was skillfull!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back