• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID this small bird please (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner said:
Beats me Alan! Its pretty obviously a female Wheatear spp!
It's only dumpy because it's probably partly in three-quarter view, producing a fore-shortening effect. Not all silhouettes are full profile.

(does my avatar look too dumpy to be a Bee-eater?)

Been putting a powerpoint pres together this evening for a do tomorrow and a quick click on BF and refresh button has been most entertaining.
Cracking thread: it's a wheatear!! :gn:

Last edited:
Bitterntwisted said:
I still favour Robin over other candidates. If nothing else, I don't see how you rule out Robin,

cos that would be stretching it a bit and it's obviously a yellow wagtail ;)

(but probably N.Wheat too)

Attachments

• stretching it a bit.JPG
    stretching it a bit.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 87
You all are bonkers! It's clearly a Bald Eagle! Someone should report it... ;)

Attachments

• stepper point chat.jpg
    stepper point chat.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 58
overworkedirish said:
You all are bonkers! It's clearly a Bald Eagle! Someone should report it... ;)

Not meaning to diss you're photoshop skills Alex, but I was thinking more along the lines of Christmas Pudding Bird myself. . .

Otherwise I'm going for Blackstart(Cercomela melanura). . . hunched down in the wind. . ;)

Last edited:
Josh Jones said:
:clap: :clap:

Ehh Josh, yes that's what I was saying in comparing against wheatear I was thinking I was wrong on Robin and coming round to wheatear, though at this stage I'll plum for the bald eagle theory :t:

I'd say Robin, I can see why someone would think Wheatear, but I think the dark wing-bars are a trick of the light. Robin would be my first choice, with possible Dunnock second.

I remain convinced it is a Robin.

This bird is NOT a female Wheatear because: I fail to notice any supercilium at all in the bird photographed, the area of black on the wing only covers a small area of it and does not extend over the whole wing which it does in a female Wheatear.

This bird is NOT a Black Redstart because: There is no whitish wing panel at all (that I can see). The breast is not too dark which rules out male Black Redstart which has black mask and breast. (Females and juveniles don't have any markings on the breast at all).

This bird IS a Robin because: If you look closely you can actually see the outline of a red breast. Robins have brown on the crown, neck and back and this gets slightly darker brown as it reaches the wing.

No doubt some of you will disagree with me but hey this is my opinion. One final thing to add: THIS IS A ROBIN!!!

Good day to all,
Good to see this still going.Now back on decent monitor and have pointed out what is visible on original photo. Have to agree that I was incorrect with my male wheatear shout. Not enough black, but still going with that species.
Remember: not all male black redstarts show white wing panels, they tend to develop with age and a 1st / 2nd year bird would not show these. However, doesn't sway me from my position.
As many would tend to agree with, I am familiar with talking cr*p and there is clearly strong evidence of there being specific species cr*p on the rocks as id'd in the photo. Too conclusive to disagree with I would wager!

Attachments

• controversy.jpg
    controversy.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
I'm mystified that this thread is still going on - its a bit like that Whitethroat one a month or so back. Its a Wheatear on the thumbnail let alone the full pic.

Jono - take a look at the bird and then the rock. Look how obvious the paler crap/lichen stuff is compared to the dark of the rock.

One would expect a Wheatear's pale parts (i.e. obvious super, pale breast/belly) to be on show.

If Tav thought it was a Black Red then thats probably what it was. You would have thought any contrast on the bird would have lead to a different identification (i.e. that of a wheatear). Especially the white rump when it flew - this is always REALLY obvious and if Tav didn't see it then it probably wasn't there.

Jane - not sure why its "obviously" a wheatear sp - if we all had your skills to be able to tell this then surely everyone would have immediately said "yes, its a wheatear". Anyway if it is one then Black seems more likely than Northern. Do I have to keep repeating that this bird shows virtually no contrast at all, and isn't a silhouette?

Look at the bill here:
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=75026

Thats too fine and the wrong structure for a wheatear, I'm afraid.

jforgham said:
Have to agree that I was incorrect with my male wheatear shout. Not enough black, but still going with that species.

You might still be right - the darkness of the majority of the wing might suggest its a 2nd CY bird that has delayed the majority of its moult.

That would fit better with the date too.

Josh - I can see plenty of contrast on my monitor - between peachy breast and browner mantle.... and espectially between black primaries (and secondaries) and brown back. I can even contrast over the eye - consistent with a pale supercilium. The tail is black too.

As for the bill on that attahment - does it not worry you a bit that the legs look even thinner?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back