• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching in Straits of Gibraltar & La Janda (2 Viewers)

Cazalla

Hi Birdman as I understand it,and I may be wrong,the EU has said that if the project is not completed they want their money back.So the local powers that be have moved some earth around to look is if is being completed and shut the site due to "work in progress".They have said that it will be completed this summer with new access,but don´t hold your breath....Eddy.
PS: the site can still be reached on foot.

Thx for the heads up Eddie.

I forgot to mention the small fact that 3 red throated pipits were seen last Sunday at Los Lances beach,the football stadium end,and I got very brief glimpses of two in a force 8 gale on Monday.I have no knowledge if they are still there.Life bird for me and my companions.....Eddy

Hi Eddy back over here staying near Tarifa till 13th May maybe this time we might bump into each other :t:

Good morning Stewart,I only have a few days in the area myself this week as I am going to the Cordoba area on Weds for three days and then I am off to Estonia for two weeks birding.
If you are about I will be putting a few hours in at Punta Carnero over the next couple of days,regards ....Eddy

Punta Camorro this morning 11.00 to 13.45hrs. Levante arrived with stronger winds than forecast, cloud over the strait increased and by 12.00hrs Morocco totally obscured. Raptors migration started slowly with some birds very low along foreshore a brief flurry from 13.00hrs then dying off mid afternoon. Counts as follows,
Black Kite 87
S T Eagle 6
Booted Eagle 8
Griffon Vulture 41
White Stork 2
Marsh Harrier 1
Egyptian Vulture 1
Returning to Hostal for lunch BOPs seen over Tarifa town and beach at Los Lances.

At Hostal while having lunch 13.55 to 14.00
Black Kite 18 overhead in small groups
Griffon Vulture 15 just inland over foothills
Booted Eagle 2 overhead.

Forecast looks grim tomorrow gusting 45 mph plus Levante with heavy showers

I was at Punta Carnero Sunday PM and after weeks of easterlies and a few poor westerlies it was nice for my friends from UK to get a good day in.Birds seen were Griffon vultures,very close,booted and short toed eagles,sparrowhawks,2 black vultures, plus one seen in the morning,numerous black kites and a first this spring for me one honey buzzard.Regards ...Eddy.

Attachments

• 2015-04-19 13.31.08 (542x640).jpg
    2015-04-19 13.31.08 (542x640).jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 2015-04-19 13.10.36-1 (640x505).jpg
    2015-04-19 13.10.36-1 (640x505).jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 2015-04-19 13.07.29-1 (640x405).jpg
    2015-04-19 13.07.29-1 (640x405).jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 54
Rather pleased with my mornings birding with Javi Elorriaga convinced I had heard a Common Bulbul at a site for several days now and to locate an unringed pair in suitable breeding habitat made my day. Only the 2nd confirmed pair in Europe he tells me and quite a cause for celebration. Link to his blog follows.

http://birdingthestrait.com/blog/

Punta Carnero was busy with migrants today in the Westerly winds, North African coast and mountains visible and not obscured by cloud/fog as has been the case for many days now. Arrived at 14.00hrs leaving 16.00 my totals Black Kite 276, Marsh Harrier 3, Montagu Harrier 2, Osprey 1, Booted Eagle 23, Short-toed Eagle 19, Griifon Vulture 41, Egyptian Vulture 6 (all imms) Honey Buzzard 4

It's tough reading this back in the UK laid up with a fractured metatarsal when I should have been out until the 6th (the injury to my foot being part of the reason I had to go home). It might have been harder, though, if I'd still been stuck out there and unable to drive! I gather that a sum plum Red-necked Phalarope is still around on Bonanza saltpans (not sure exactly where). Good luck to all those still out there birding!

Been a very hot weekend with a gentle Easterly breeze yesterday turning Westerly today. Punta Canero was quiet early afternoon but from 15.45hrs it kicked off we stayed till 18.00hrs when it clouded over and the birds tailed off.
Black Kite 110
Marsh Harrier 9 all females
Booted Eagle 28
Honey Buzzard 309 many arriving very high biggest group nearly 100
Short-toed Eagle 13
Black Stork 9 single group.

Can anyone update me on the La Janda egret colony? When I looked in early April there were very few birds about and it seemed largely deserted. However, I've since been told it's occupied again - is this so and are numbers back to normal or well down?

Good morning everyone back on my local patch after a month of trips to Cordoba,Estonia,isle of Mull and Bempton Cliffs Yorkshire.To answer your question John I went to La Janda yesterday and yes the cattle egret colony is in full swing together with some nesting glossy ibis.
Nothing out of the ordinary seen but good flocks of finches 5 black kite squabbling over a road kill rabbit,male and female Montague´s harrier seen on the Cañada,which is still not passable in a car for it´s full length.The road from Benalup has been partially tarmacked and offers an alternative entry point.It is nice to go travelling and see new species but it is also nice to come home.Regards Eddy....

Attachments

• 2015-05-31 08.00.35-1 (640x426).jpg
    2015-05-31 08.00.35-1 (640x426).jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 2015-05-31 07.23.51 (332x640).jpg
    2015-05-31 07.23.51 (332x640).jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 28
The road from Benalup has been partially tarmacked and offers an alternative entry point....... To answer your question John I went to La Janda yesterday and yes the cattle egret colony is in full swing together with some nesting glossy ibis.Regards Eddy....

Thanks Eddy. The Benalup route is my usual entry point and given the cratered state of the road this spring it's good to hear that it's been resurfaced. Hopefully more will be done anon - unless of course it was just a pre-election sop to get votes! Good too to hear that the egret colony is functioning - it seemed very quiet when we looked. Unfortunately, it's looking increasingly unlikely that I'll be able to get out to Alcala in September or anytime soon so any updates for my notes etc will very welcome.

Been up in the mountains around Ronda for a few days but reported yesterday 25/6 over 300 flamingoes on the rice paddies at La Janda.Regards.....Eddy

Good morning to you all.On Sunday last I was able to go onto the Island at Tarifa with my good friend Jose Luis Garzon for a mornings seawatching which I don´t do very often.Good easterly blowing which brought the birds reasonably close to the shore but misty further out across the Strait.Birds seen were:-Y/leg gull,black headed gull.balearic shearwater,cory´s shearwater and a life bird for me sooty shearwater.Also seen gannet,common and sandwich terns,whimbrel,turnstones and a lone cormorant.Breeding in the buildings on the Island are common and Lesser Kestrels....Eddy

There is no access by vehicle to Cazalla and the site is effectively closed.Some people have managed to visit on foot but I have not tried.Migres has set up their counting on the other side of the road.Once again a site of great importance is lost....Eddy.

That's a real shame.

Come late August and early September there have been a lot of people going to Cazalla - the loss of car parking will be a major blow (and possibly a hazard) if nothing else.

There is no access by vehicle to Cazalla and the site is effectively closed.Some people have managed to visit on foot but I have not tried.Migres has set up their counting on the other side of the road.Once again a site of great importance is lost....Eddy.

That observation point on the opposite side of the road has been a nightmare ever since they put it in a few years ago. Poor and limited parking, poor access from the main road at a dangerous point and an access track that could rip the bottom off a car. I can't stand it.

Bad news.

There was a new Migres centre being built on the way to Trafico last year. Has this been completed/opened and is it any good as an observation spot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back