• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Growing parasite threat to Galapagos Islands finches (1 Viewer)

Kits

Picture Picker
Finches in the Galapagos Islands are being threatened by a parasitic fly that attacks their young. A new mathematical model suggests that the birds may succumb to this pest in 50 years. The authors say that human intervention could alleviate the risk of extinction.

Article here.

Kits,

I used to raise Australian Owls Finches in cages, and was eventually made to feel bad for what I had done.

Were I young and had time, I would try it with these guys, and then spread them all over the Earth.

Perhaps they could adapt like European Starlings, and then I'd be the blame for whatever ill that might cause; however, I'm not, I can't, and maybe we just have to let it be.

Damn!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back