• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern Panama flycatcher? (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Hello all, the San Francisco reserve in eastern Panama Province near Darien. I saw a bird with blackish upperside, paler underside and yellow rump that was hidden behind the wings most of the time. I thought it to be a flycatcher. I saw that bird fly to a different tree, and I believe the images here are of the same bird, but I did not see the yellow rump again.

Another birder thought it was a Sulphur-rumped flycatcher. Is that correct?

thanks
Niels

Attachments

• 9 q P1050457.jpg
    9 q P1050457.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 9a q P1050468.jpg
    9a q P1050468.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 41
Another birder thought it was a Sulphur-rumped flycatcher. Is that correct?

I don't think that's correct at all, please compare: https://download.ams.birds.cornell.edu/api/v1/asset/67494211/640
In a flycatcher of any sort you'd expect to see a tiny hook at the tip of the bill and bristles bordering bill base (as on the photo I posted above)

This bird's bill doesn't suggest flycatcher to me, perhaps more like a tanager. Sulphur-rumped Tanager would be indeed a good contender. So a sulphur-coloured rump seems to be involved here after all! :) :t:
Check here: https://neotropical.birds.cornell.edu/Species-Account/nb/species/surtan1/overview
The white tufts on upper breast sides are visible in your photos, as well as the bill and head profile shapes.
Sulphur-rumped Tanager imo.

Yes, I have no prior experience with sulphur-rumped tanager. The image in Angehr and Dean doesn’t really look similar to this bird

Niels

Sulphur-rumped Tanager seems to be a rarely observed or at least photographed species: no images in our gallery, 2 in Neotropical birds online, 1 in IBC.

Niels

I don’t have a lot of time at the moment but agree it is not a flycatcher. No rictal bristles for starters. Tanager type birds is where I would look and the whit tuft and description sound good for Sulphur-rumped. Curious if it has been recorded there before, a rare bird of the Caribbean slope usually.

Canopy Camp gives people staying there a checklist. This species is on their list of birds they see outside of the camp itself.

Niels

It looks quite good for a Sulphur-rumped Tanager even though no yellow can be seen on the first image. Being my nemesis costarican bird...I guess I don't feel confident enough to give you a certain id. By the way, where exactly is that reserve? I ask because Scarlet-browed Tanager females look very very similar to S-rumped Tanagers and they are fairly common in the Darien itself.

It looks quite good for a Sulphur-rumped Tanager even though no yellow can be seen on the first image. Being my nemesis costarican bird...I guess I don't feel confident enough to give you a certain id. By the way, where exactly is that reserve? I ask because Scarlet-browed Tanager females look very very similar to S-rumped Tanagers and they are fairly common in the Darien itself.

Thank you Eduardo,
the reserve is in the eastern end of Panama Province (a little west of the town of Torti). Everything I can find about Scarlet-browed Tanager says that it is much further east, something like the eastern 1/3 of Darien. That corresponds to a few hours driving away from San Francisco on what these days is a decent road (much better than first time I visited Panama).

By now, I am (based on both what I remember seeing and what the images shows me) reasonably convinced that the id of Sulphur-rumped Tanager is correct.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back