• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

advice on nikon d60 (1 Viewer)

john woosh

Supporter
United Kingdom
HI i have been bird watching for a while now and i have got the chance to buy a nikon d60 with 55-200mm vr lens will this combination be ok for a novice photographer. thankyou for any advice john.

My $0.02,

Nikon's D40s and D60 are missing a few things I consider important.
The missing AF-drive and no LCD status window are major drawbacks.

Since the D90 was announced/introduced the price for the D80 has dropped further and I wouldn't be surprised to see used ones showing up in numbers as people upgrade to the D90.
The D80 is in my eyes a way superior option then the D60, if the D90 is not in the budget.

The 50-200mm lens is with 200mm to short for most bird photography. You will have to get real close to get something recognizable on the picture. On the other end it is not really short enough for non-bird photograpy (family pictures, scenery etc.). Very soon you would probably want a lens to cover the short side, like a affordable 18 - 55mm. Then the combination of the two lenses would cover 95% of non-Wildlife photography.
Something with a focal length up to 400mm or more for the birds is desirable, and here the lack of an built in AF drive in the D60 will make most 2nd hand long lenses manual focus only.

Ulli

P.S. I am using a D80 and started out with a D50. Just to put things in perspective (I am not a Nikon opponent).

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back