• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Image quality with ED82A/DSLR/FSA-L1 (1 Viewer)

Tord

Hi all
I would like to ask question related to image quality possible to get by using FSA-L1 adapter and Nikon DSLR together with ED82.

First, apologies if the question has been already answered, I searched through the forum but could not find.
Background: I have been digiscoping for some months now and I must admit I have been hooked and am quite pleased with the results achieved so far. Setup used: ED82A, DS 30X eyepiece, Canon Powershot S95 mounted with a third party bracket with “swing arm”. My experience so far:
+ The setup is capable of delivering sharp pictures, provided i) one pays attention when focusing (since DOF is narrow) ii) vibrations are eliminated or at least mitigated iii) bracket is correctly centered (somewhat tricky) iv) some luck and some random factor (I try use timer to reduce vibrations and burst to increase likelihood, sharpness varies between pictures in a burst)
- Pictures tend to be on the soft side (even though sharp, if you see what I mean) and losing some contrast – contrast that can be partially remedied in the digital lab. The higher the camera zoom, the softer the pictures.
- Most pictures are taken with camera zoom between half zoom to almost full zoom attempting fill the frame as much as possible (still, cropping is often needed). Say 50-90 mm on 28-105 mm scale (35 mm equivalent). According to Nikon this would correspond to a composite focal length 1500 mm – 2700 mm (again, 35 mm equivalent)
- Some chromatic aberration is shown, not always though (depending on subject and contrasts), but I don’t regard it as a real issue. It can be partially fixed with Canon SW.
- Bokeh is not really pleasant. Nothing to do about it I suppose.

My questions in short:
Will I get significant image quality improvement (sharpness) with FSA-L1 and a DSLR compared to the setup I use (and understanding the equivalent focal length will be limited to 1500mm, according to Nikon)
Will the camera and adaptor weight (say 700/800g) be an issue from a balance point of view? I have a heavy duty Manfrotto tripod but still…
Will an angled scope be an issue to handle? I suppose not but would like to have it confirmed by users.

Sorry for long post.

/Tord

Will I get significant image quality improvement (sharpness) with FSA-L1 and a DSLR compared to the setup I use (and understanding the equivalent focal length will be limited to 1500mm, according to Nikon)
Will the camera and adaptor weight (say 700/800g) be an issue from a balance point of view? I have a heavy duty Manfrotto tripod but still…
Will an angled scope be an issue to handle? I suppose not but would like to have it confirmed by users.

IQ will depend entirely on your manual focusing skill and how much of the frame is filled with the bird. I found it quite difficult. At F13, the viewfinder can be quite dim on a APS-C camera and the focus indicator light is not reliable. Pics I thought were sharp would be slightly fuzzy when viewed on my PC. The fixed focal length can become an issue with large birds that come in close. Balance will be very critical and you will need a rail or the long Manfrotto QR plate. A straight scope is much easier/natural to manuever with a dslr than angled. I eventually gave up with the dslr w/fieldscope combo. The gains in IQ were not worth the effort. Better/cheaper to use a camera lens like the Sigma 150-500 HSM OS w/1.4xTC. And if you want to digiscope, a compact with it supertelephoto focal lengths is a more practical solution.

Horokuru:

Thanks for posting, you are showing what can be done with fine optics and the
expertise that goes along with it.

I really do enjoy the photos, for me I am waiting for all the snow to melt, and I
suppose you will just laugh at that comment ~! Ha, Ha. Now tell me, snow, have you
ever seen it?

Jerry

Horokuru:

Thanks for posting, you are showing what can be done with fine optics and the
expertise that goes along with it.

I really do enjoy the photos, for me I am waiting for all the snow to melt, and I
suppose you will just laugh at that comment ~! Ha, Ha. Now tell me, snow, have you
ever seen it?

Jerry

Hehehe thanks Jerry and I have never see the real snow :king: because I only go to UK once a year for the British Bird Fair in August

Maybe one day o:D

Thanks for replies,

They however seem somewhat contradictory...

@ Horokuru: the photos you have on display look really good. Is it possible for you to share a sample of a hi-resolution sample of an image that you believe is as sharp as can be with your setup (before resizing)? Are you still using the setup by the way? (From the blog it appears that the FSA-1 was on loan).

@ RJM: I agree that F13 might be tricky to achieve perfect focus with. I believe it is already difficult to achieve perfection through the DS30X eyepiece.

Maybe I should just forget about it and stick to my S95 setup... If you find a spare moment feedback on my photos in the Birdforum gallery (please note that not all pictures are digiscoped)

Regards
/Tord

Thanks for replies,

They however seem somewhat contradictory...

@ Horokuru: the photos you have on display look really good. Is it possible for you to share a sample of a hi-resolution sample of an image that you believe is as sharp as can be with your setup (before resizing)? Are you still using the setup by the way? (From the blog it appears that the FSA-1 was on loan).

Maybe I should just forget about it and stick to my S95 setup... If you find a spare moment feedback on my photos in the Birdforum gallery (please note that not all pictures are digiscoped)

Regards
/Tord

Can I have your email ?

I'm using Nikon Fieldscope EDG85 with FSA-L2 adapter now and the aperture starts from f5.9 - f21 (500mm - 1750mm). Quality from this setup is great and if I need higher magnification for Digiscoping, I used the 25LER eyepiece and Nikon Coolpix P7000 :king:

The best combo for birding now is to have DSLR with lens for in flight and action shots and Digiscoping with compact camera for static subject i.e Trogons, Raptors and Waterbirds.

My experience with Nikon ED82 and compact cameras, low shutter speed 1/10 and below, I still can get sharp image especially in the rainforest using cable release provided the subject stay still :king:

What I like with compact cameras nowadays, it has RAW and ED lens plus HD video. Good to publish book and presentation with the videos for kids and etc ;)

Nikon Fieldscope EDG85 via Nikon FSB-6 on Nikon Coolpix P5100

ISO 64, f2.9, Shutter speed 1/2 EV +0.3 resized and edited on contrast only. No sharpening applied.

White-tailed Flycatcher

DSCN0227 White-tailed Flycatcher.JPG

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back