• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Physeta vs Herpetotheres (1 Viewer)

Jim LeNomenclatoriste

Je suis un mignon petit Traquet rubicole
France
Sorry for this useless thread but I can't find the original falconid topic

I need some clarification please

In his analyse, Vieillot (1816) introduced the name Physeta with Falco sufflator Gmelin as type species. The next year, here he created the genus Herpetotheres for Falco cachinnans Lath. (by monotypy) along with this note: ''Ce genre remplace celui qui est sous le nom de Physète dans l'analyse de mon Ornithologie élémentaire'' (I don't how to translate this sentence). However, he doesn't give the reasons for this change. As both names were assigned to the same bird, can you explain why the name Herpetotheres is used instead of Physeta, which has priority, at least, in theory. Should Physeta not be the true applied name ?, unless it's a nomen oblitum.

Thanks

Last edited:
Linnaeus 1758 (who is the actual author of the species name):
sufflator. 16. F. cera pedibusque luteis, corpore fusco albido, occulorum operculis osseis.
Habitat Surinami. Rolander.
Corpus supra fuscum plumis basi albis; subtus luteo albo fuscoque maculatum, uti etiam rectrices. Nares lobo carneo intercalari. Iratus aut territus caput inflat ad magnitudinem corporis.
This translates more or less as:
sufflator. 16. Falcon with yellow cere and feet, whitish brown body, bony eye lids.
Inhabits Surinam. Rolander.
Body brown above with white-based feathers; mottled yellow, white and brown below, as are also the rectrices. Nares with an intercalated fleshy lobe. Angry or frightened, inflates its head to the size of the body.​
I think this is generally regarded as a nomen dubium nowadays.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back