• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Falcons - Isreal (1 Viewer)

FalconBirder

Raptor Ethologist
Greetings!

Stumbled across this image on the web which was captured in Isreal in early October 2016. Any thoughts, with reasoning, on the identification and age of these two falcons please?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Falcons - Isreal.jpg
    Falcons - Isreal.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
left Hobby, adult or 2CY difficult to tell from one pic
right Eleonora 2CY with retained juv coverts, ID by brownish upperparts and smallish white cheek

I've never seen these two associating on migration before but it obviously can happen! Do they mingle in winter areas? (btw - they don't look fake to me.....I'll get my coat....;))

Thanks Tom,

I might have guessed that you'd nail my cheeky quiz immediately. :)

Incidentally, I'm thinking 2nd calendar year is most likely for the Eurasian Hobby, simply because even though the 'trousers' are virtually hidden and undertail coverts are in shadow, I would expect to see rather more rufous colouration in those areas on an adult.

Best regards,

Simon, I remembered I'd had a photo on that (because I struggle sometimes with pale morphs Eleonora's and hobby) Here it is, in the first one you have the hobby on top right and a dark Eleonora in bottom left. Together with a detail of the hobby just in case I failed the ID. There were more Eleonora's around, resting in the pine trees
They stay around my home for a month or so in June-July, a group of 10-15 Eleonora's

I've never seen these two associating on migration before but it obviously can happen! Do they mingle in winter areas? (btw - they don't look fake to me.....I'll get my coat....;))

Attachments

• FAG_12062015_24717.jpg
    FAG_12062015_24717.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 60
  • FAG_12062015_24717-2.jpg
    FAG_12062015_24717-2.jpg
    487.9 KB · Views: 52
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back