• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

mantis id (1 Viewer)

Motmot

Eduardo Amengual
Hi there,

This morning I found this mantis in my garden in central Spain. Its size was aprox. 4cm.
Could someone id it for me?
Thanks a lot

Attachments

• mantis.jpg
    mantis.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 121
Empusa pennata

Hi Motmot

It looks like an Empusa pennata to me (don't know whether there is an English name for it) with the characteristical head shape - it looks like it's wearing a helmet! This individual is still not fully developed and therefore doesn't have wings yet; the transformation into an adult mantis should happen sometime later this spring. In this species the female doesn't eat the male as it often happens in other mantis species.

All the best,

Iben

There are a few Empusids from Spain but I think Id go for E. pennata aswell. They all follow the basic body plan like the one in your photograph. They are fantastic and unusually for mantids overwinter in the nymphal stage (like your photo) and continue development in spring as Ien says.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back