• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible Hoary? (1 Viewer)

Without seeing the UTC's and the rump.....just on profile it looks a good candidate!...the only 'niggle' I might have is with the bill! (looking perhaps a trifle big?)...that being said it 'looks' pretty Hoary to me.

PS...a superb shot!

cheers ;)

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if there was any contention with those images, (even without the rump!)...again superb shots.

cheers :t:

Excellent shot. James could probably chime in here with what he bird is, but I'll take a shot.

Very frosty appearance. Quite a stubby bill. Unstreaked underneath. Streaking on body seems very fine.

Seems to fit Hoary for me.

I would agree with everyone else. Immaculate UTC's, good structure and pale scapulars as well as extensive white edgings of the primaries and secondary coverts. You can even see the fluffy nasal feathering.

Very nice shot!

Last edited:
In addition to whats been said the buffy head in comparison to the frosty body colour is a good pointy away from Mealy toward Hoary.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back