• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull Sp., Somerset (1 Viewer)

rharris

Hi there,

Can any of the gull experts on here tell me what the larger gull is in the group of Herrings (top left or left in most of the group shots). It was clearly larger than the others and apeared to have a heavier bill. Sorry for the quality of the photos but it was quite distant and these are very heavily cropped.

Many thanks for your insight in advance.

R H

Attachments

• Gull_sp03.jpg
    Gull_sp03.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 177
  • Gull_sp04.jpg
    Gull_sp04.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Gull_sp02.jpg
    Gull_sp02.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Gull_sp05.jpg
    Gull_sp05.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 138
  • Gull_sp07.jpg
    Gull_sp07.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 94
From these pic - I´m not def. convinced either.
The gull is not a 'first year' (if Chris by that means a bird of the year?) but a 2cy moulting into second winter.
In my eyes it could well be a (male), Herring Gull, although some female GBBG might be close regarding the billsize. Upperwing shot?

JanJ

From these pic - I´m not def. convinced either.
The gull is not a 'first year' (if Chris by that means a bird of the year?) but a 2cy moulting into second winter.
In my eyes it could well be a (male), Herring Gull, although some female GBBG might be close regarding the billsize. Upperwing shot?

JanJ

This is the only other image I have of it with wings up - didn't include it as the quality is even worse, but in case it helps? The bird was quite a lot bigger than any of the other Herrings present and I assumed it was a GBBG myself but willing to listen and learn...

Attachments

• Gull_sp09.jpg
    Gull_sp09.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 77
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back