• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RSPB Middleton Lakes (4 Viewers)

I had a few hours down at Middleton today - very quiet with birders and birds when I first arrived.

Did not hear or see any warblers on my walk up to the North Pit :-C Nothing of interest was on Fishers Mill pool either. Thought I was in for a duffy.

But when i got to the north pit I found loads of common terns, flying brilliantly.

Then I found at least 25 Godwits ( see photo) black tailed I reckon, and as I was watching them a wheatear came into view, got a crapograph of this but not worthy of posting.

When on the walk back I saw a hobby flyover fishers mill, only my third of the year, so chuffed with that, but for me the highlight was a LSW at the old tree on my return to the carpark. ONLY the second time I have ever seen one :t::t:

So from a very poor start I was as pleased as punch when I got back in my motor.

Attachments

• IMG_14261.jpg
    IMG_14261.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1386.JPG
    IMG_1386.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 62
Went for a quick whizz round this morning between 9 and 11 am to see if Godwits still on North Pit but no sign of them. Still 2 Green Sandpipers on Hall lake, a Buzzard on the ground on west side of new reed pool, a Jay in the woods and a good sight of a Kingfisher flying down the brook in the copse by the ford.

All the best Steve

Went for a quick whizz round this morning between 9 and 11 am to see if Godwits still on North Pit but no sign of them. Still 2 Green Sandpipers on Hall lake, a Buzzard on the ground on west side of new reed pool, a Jay in the woods and a good sight of a Kingfisher flying down the brook in the copse by the ford.

All the best Steve

Hi Steve,
I went down yesterday late afternoon/evening and the godwits were still there, only 12 now mind you, so they may have all gone now. Checked out the hall lake and did not see the sandpipers, where abouts are they hiding ?? :-O

Going to pop down again this afternoon so hoping to spot them.

Regards Paul

Hi Steve,
I went down yesterday late afternoon/evening and the godwits were still there, only 12 now mind you, so they may have all gone now. Checked out the hall lake and did not see the sandpipers, where abouts are they hiding ?? :-O

Going to pop down again this afternoon so hoping to spot them.

Regards Paul

They were showing well this morning - looking from the hall drive they are at the far end of lake on the right hand side.

Cheers Steve

Suspect the Godwits were probably a new flock as they weren't seen in the morning. The Green Sands can be quite mobile in the area so aren't always present on the Hall Lake.

Cheers

Tom

Suspect the Godwits were probably a new flock as they weren't seen in the morning. The Green Sands can be quite mobile in the area so aren't always present on the Hall Lake.

Cheers

Tom

Yeah I was there all morning on Saturday and didn't see a single wader on the North Pit, they must have come in later.

Cheers Steve

This morning there were 5 Green Sandpipers on Aston Villa pit of which 2 were seen earlier on Hall Lake, on the main reserve no waders were seen apart from a few Lapwing.
Geoff
edit. I see on TVB that Steve Haynes did better than me with a probable Little Stint, Dunlin, Common Sand and a juv Med Gull also a Sanderling was reported on RBA in the afternoon.

Last edited:
Hi Geoff - Belvide and Upton Warren will be indulging in our usual Autumn All-Day birdwatch on Saturday 8th September. Does Middleton wish to play along again this year?

All the best
Phil

Hi Geoff - Belvide and Upton Warren will be indulging in our usual Autumn All-Day birdwatch on Saturday 8th September. Does Middleton wish to play along again this year?

All the best
Phil
Hi Phil,
I don't think we played last September and I'm not sure if I will be in the Midlands this time but will ask the others if they are interested. I have already asked the RSPB but they haven't replied.
Geoff

Had a quick trip round tonight. Nothing much but the sandies were back on the hall lake. :t: 3 birds.

Attachments

• IMG_16191.jpg
    IMG_16191.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 66
Had a quick trip round tonight. Nothing much but the sandies were back on the hall lake. :t: 3 birds.

The 5 or 6 Green Sandpipers seem to commute between the hall lake and the Villa pit, I also had 3 on the hall lake this morning and 2 on Villa pit. There was an Oystercatcher on Villa pit also.
On the north pit this morning there was a Shoveler with 4 ducklings and 4 Little Egret have been there the last two days. A juvenile LRP was on the north pit yesterday but no sign of the previous days waders.
Geoff

The 5 or 6 Green Sandpipers seem to commute between the hall lake and the Villa pit, I also had 3 on the hall lake this morning and 2 on Villa pit. There was an Oystercatcher on Villa pit also.
On the north pit this morning there was a Shoveler with 4 ducklings and 4 Little Egret have been there the last two days. A juvenile LRP was on the north pit yesterday but no sign of the previous days waders.
Geoff

Hi Geoff - is Shoveler a regular breeder in the locality?

Hi Geoff - is Shoveler a regular breeder in the locality?
Hi Phil, Sorry for not replying but have been busy, anyway I see JH has replied and he knows more about the Tame Valley than I do.
The only waders seen this morning were flyovers, 2 Dunlin, 1 Oystercatcher, 1 Snipe and 1 Green Sandpiper, it's a shame there is no feeding areas for waders at the present, however there was a juvenile Ringed Plover and 6 Snipe on the north pit on the 3rd.
A volunteer deserved a pat on the back for clearing up the messs left by late night revelers at the carpark and from this mornings dog walkers, not a pleasant job for her.
Geoff

Anyone first time visiting RSPB Middleton lakes and following the access on the RSPB website, they will travel up the road just past the Aston Villa training ground entrance then they cannot go any further, although the RSPB have access rights through the old Hanson's site, since Parkstone Construction have taken over the site and preparing to get ready to recycle concrete and brick delivered to the site by HGV lorrries (planning permission given by Warwickshire County Council). Appears they want all birders to go through the Middleton Hall entrance, they don't want any doddering birders travelling up the road while HGV lorries are travelling along the same route. The RSPB have a sign on the closed gated backed up by large concrete blocks asking visitors to use the Middleton Hall access.
Parkstone construction that name rings a bell, on Dosthill lake Warwickshire County Council said that the Water Ski club could have sound buffer banks. The then owner Mr James let Parkstone construction do the job, they built huge bunds from rubble from construction sites and covered it with top soil, I calculate Parkstone's made 1 Millon plus doing this job.
The EA now the bunds are up which took about 2 years say it's interfering with the floodplain.

Regards, John

Parkstones

Presumably Parkstone are'nt working Sundays? With regard to access.....

Laurie -

Hi Laurie,

Parkstones have not on my last visit set up their concrete, Brick, Rubble recyling machine so I believe the gate is blocked all week and weekends. Thus getting birders to use the Middleton Hall entrance before fleets of HGV' s start travelling up the access road.

Regards, John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back